Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Armistice with Turkey

KingRick

There is a reference here to a ‘Kelia Liman near Maidos’ see

http://battlefields1418.50megs.com/shell_green_cemetery.htm

Specifically see “In March 1927, the graves of 20 sailors and soldiers who died in 1922 and 1923 were removed from Kelia Liman, near Maidos, and reburied here between the Artillery Road Plot and Row G of Plot II.”

If this is the Kelia to which you are referring then it would not have anything to do with the Gallipoli campaign of 1915

But most probably something connected with the British force which returned to the area in late 1918 after the armistice with Turkey.

Can you give a little more information please which might then allow someone to be of more help?

Regards

Michael D.R.

Kilia Bay is north of Ecebat (Maidos in 1915), where the coast road turns inland to cross to the Gaba Tepe area; well and truly inside the Dardanelles. It was a landing point only for Turkish reinforcements coming from the Asian side of Turkey onto the peninsula, and was also where one of the Turkish submarine nets was anchored.

Thanks.

All I have from about my grandfather is:

Left Russia during revolution and joined British army. From what I was told it was WWI service. I have post card with "121 Horse transport" and what appears to be Kelia. The postcard has constantinople on it.

He had also been in Constantinople around 1922. There was an french and english passport document.

post-5-1103811849.jpg

The British had a military presence in this area [including Constantinople] from late 1918 until 1923, when they left Turkey, under the Treaty of Sevres.

Regarding 121 Horse Transport Co.

This is a shot-in-the-dark, but perhaps some Salonika expert can shed more light.

The ASC’s Company No. 121 was with the 28th Divisional Train at Salonika at the end of the war. Michael Young has this ASC company as disbanded in April 1919, however

Question: Is it possible some elements then went on to become part of the army of occupation in Turkey?

Sorry that I can’t help more

Michael D.R.

I am also at a disadvantage since the translation of the family name "Вифлянцев" could be done in a number of ways. Viflyantseff, Vifliantsev...etc

O-well. At least I have the photo!

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone have any information about the British force which returned to the area in late 1918 after the armistice with Turkey?

Thanks,

Richard