Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Hampton Court Barracks

halsteadiron

I have recently come across this old photograph whilst sorting some old papers which I have inherited from an old family member, sadly now deceased. I am not aware of anyone in our family who was there, however, it may be of interest to some of you

Hand written on the back is ‘Hampton Court Barracks - 11.11.1918’

59be86dcc9961_HamptonCourtBarracks11Nov1918.jpg.8266acdf09717d97aa2673fce92e1ec9.jpg

Great photograph! I've never seen such a happy bunch of people in a wartime photo, and the date "11.11.1918 " shows why.  The hospital suggested by Steve was very close to Hampton Court itself, where a Barrack Block remains:

Recent photograph

I don't see any nurses, so I wonder if the soldiers had left the hospital to mingle with the WAACs at the barracks?

Moonraker

• 5 weeks later...

The Auxiliary Hospital for Hampton Court was on the Green ,its the Rotary Hotel today .Which looks the same now as then.Most of the women here are WRAF drivers and some WAACs ,who both  were very close in Hampton Court Barracks being trained at nearby Hurst park .There are nurses there they are just wrapped up! The old near Hampton Court barrack also on the  Green was demolished in the 1930s and  the photo might be near there .Its now the Green car park.The Palace barracks at Hampton Court Palace entrance still exist as the tickets office . Other place for photo could be back of the Hospital that's now the Rotary hotel ,it just looks more like a garden than a green.Great Photo

Is the original poster aware that for topics in this category Photos - Wants and Offers it is states

Requests will be deleted after 90 days of inactivity

It seems a pity that the above photo and discussion will all vanish in approximately three months (unless there is further activity) and will not be available for reference in the future.

Cheers

Maureen

I hope to add some more details about those in the photo from my researches

17 hours ago, Maureene said:

Is the original poster aware that for topics in this category Photos - Wants and Offers it is states

Requests will be deleted after 90 days of inactivity

It seems a pity that the above photo and discussion will all vanish in approximately three months (unless there is further activity) and will not be available for reference in the future.

Cheers

Maureen

I agree. Perhaps a Mod could move it, please? Actually, I'll take the liberty of "reporting" my own post to bring it to a Mod's attention.

Moonraker

Thanks very much for all of your interest in this photograph and, yes, it would be good if it could be moved so that it can be saved for all to see in the future. I wasn’t sure which section it should be in when I first posted it

A kindly Mod has obliged and the thread is now permanent, under "Places &  Infrastructure".

Thanks.

Moonraker

Excellent, thanks very much