Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

the kaiser battle 1918

harribobs

Hi all

i am looking for a recommendation for a book covering the german offensive in 1918, preferably from an allied viewpoint as i'm trying to fill the huge gaps in my knowledge <_<

i would appreciate the views of this forum

(this is the first time i've seen the bottom of my reading pile for a while)

There is a bit of a tale on the The Western Front Association Site by Dr David Payne with a large bit on Kaiserschlacht or The Emperor's Battle.

Not a book but a nice read.

LINK

Liam

Depends where you are .. but if there is a 'Bargain Books' near you, 'Kaiserschlact' was on sale for £4.50 (rrp.£9.50) - good for first day.

Des

Lyn MacDonald.."To the Last Man" is another to consider. The entire Spring offensive, but ..........Lyn MacDonald

DrB

;)

I have just finished Martin Middlebrooks "The Kaisers Battle" and although it only really deals with the first day of the battle,I really enjoyed it.

Stu.

There is quite a long thread on this somewhere else. Lyn MacDonald doesn't present the overall picture as well as other writers e.g.

William Moore 'See How They Ran'

Blaxland 'Amiens 1918'

Terraine 'To Win A War'

Toland 'No Man's Land: The Story of 1918' (one of those blockbuster narrative histories)

thank you one and all

i did find m middlebrook's 'first day of the somme' very interesting and easy to read so i think i might plump for that in the first case but i'll be looking for (and at ) the others

liam, i will check out that link as well

thanks again and ho ho ho merry christmas!

chris

Bob,

It might interest you to know that Martin Middlebrook once told me that actually THE KAISER'S BATTLE was a b e t t e r book than THE FIRST DAY ON THE SOMME.

Indeed it is a marvellous book, shedding light on both sides, German and British, in Martin's inimitable way.

All the best,

Fred

Bob,

It might interest you to know that Martin Middlebrook once told me that actually THE KAISER'S BATTLE was a b e t t e r book than THE FIRST DAY ON THE SOMME.

Indeed it is a marvellous book, shedding light on both sides, German and British, in Martin's inimitable way.

All the best,

Fred

Thanks Fred, i did look for it on xmas eve but the shop was a nightmare

Happy Birthday, Harribobs!

Fred

Thanks Fred! :D

• 2 weeks later...

Without doubt Barrie Pitt's '1918: The Last Act'. The first book on WW1 I ever read and in many ways the finest. I took it out of my local library in June 1964, (the golden year for any WW1 student) to fill in some time after A-levels. It was due back on 3 July 1964; it is still on my bookshelf. I hate to think what the fines now amount to.

Moore's See How They Ran' is a decent overview book for the battle in question, but only runs until Late April really. Covers the Durhams a fair bit too, but lots of good extras fill the pages.

Anything particular youd like form it, as I have a copy & have 2 other look ups to do in the next few days. Best to mail me if there is, as I may not be back on forum regularly for a week or so. :rolleyes: (How dare life keep me away from this place so much :o . its really not on ...)

Cheers

Steve

well i did get a copy of mr middlebrooks "THE KAISER'S BATTLE" used off amazon for £3.00 ( you can't argue with that!)

thanks all,

steve

it's not really anything specific i was after, more like an good over-view to educate me, but i appreciate the offer

hedley

you're a bad bad man ! :D let's hope the library police aren't checking this thread

chris

I am surprised that no one has included "The German Offensives of 1918", by Martin Kit Callen, Tempus , 2001. Probably the latest work on the subject and very impressive, It is part of the company's Battles and Campaigns series. The series editor is the redoubtable Hew Strachan, which says something about its quality.

Regrads

David

Robert

Correct. A retriever moment - like a senior moment only worse -. Apologies. But the book remains splendid.

Apologies

David