Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Melbourne Canberra Sydney

Herekawe

Hi

I am off to Australia for a week in October, for a family event, a few days in Melbourne - then to Canberra to the War Memorial for a day and then a couple of days in Sydney before returning to NZ. Normally I go to Brisbane I haven't been to Sydney for many years and never south of that.

My plan is to go AWOL if possible, for a bit each day and was looking for a few suggestions Great War sites in or near Melbourne and Sydney. I have a car so will be able to travel.

Any suggestions please?

Thanks

James

Greetings Herekawe

If visiting the Australian War Memorial you may find it interesting to do some research before you go ... it is quite big.  

This is the main site ... which has been 'updated' in the past couple of months and I now find VERY confusing !!!  https://www.awm.gov.au/visit/visitor-information

This is a site called 'Honest history' which was set up a few years ago by a group of Historians who were unhappy with the way that War history was being presented in Australia (some people still believe Australia 'won' WW1 :):)).  Some of their articles are a bit 'left wing' for me.

http://honesthistory.net.au/wp/honest-history-some-extracts-from-honest-historys-alternative-guide-to-the-australian-war-memorial/

I enjoy your 'interests' ... ticks 4 boxes for me.  I used to go to Omarama for a weeks fishing every December.  Pick up renter at Christchurch and drive south.  Always stop at the Rakaia War Memorial for a bite to eat. 

A slightly different route to Canberra from Melbourne would be to turn off (RIGHT) the Hume Hwy near Gundagai, head to Tumut, onto Cooma via the Snowy Mountains Hwy, then up to Canberra.  Some good fishing spots on this road, nice scenery and the 'road less travelled'.  Do a Google Map search for the route and compare times.

Philip

Thanks for these suggestions. I have been loosely following changes at the AWM but will wait and see what I think as a hopefully unbaised visitor. No time for fishing sadly but the RAAF Museum sounds interesting BFBSM and thanks Phillip for the route advice.

James

In Sydney, you could take a walk through Hyde Park and see the War memorial at one end with an Emden gun close by, and the fountain at the other (harbour) end that has a WW1 connection.