Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Joseph Pemberton R/1520 KRRC

SOMMESOLDIER

Hi There, :)

Could anyone please give me any information on Rifleman Joseph Pemberton R/1520 10th Btn Kings Royal Rifle Corps. Did he D.O.W or K.I.A. 19-9-17 ? Where were the 10th KRRC that day ? Many Thanks.

Cheers

Tim.

From SDGW:-

PEMBERTON

Joseph J

Birmingham

Birmingham

R/1520

19/09/17

10th Battalion.

King's Royal Rifle Corps

RIFLEMAN

Killed in action

France & Flanders

Liam

Hi Liam, :)

Thanks very much for your quick reply, it is very much appreciated. :D

Cheers

Tim.

• 3 weeks later...

The following quote is from the 1917 KRRC Chronicle - page 130 and it clearly defines the losses suffered by the 10th KRRC on 19 September 1917:

On the 8th [of September 1917] we [10th KRRC] moved to Proven and two days later to Malakoff Farm, where our camp was bombed by aircraft, with casualties to horses and mules in the transport lines. Training continued in fine weather and the Battalion staff went up to reconnoitre the ground over which the attack was to take place about the 20th.

During his absence the C.O.'s tent was demolished by a shell!

After finally rehearsing the attack we relieved the 7th K.O.Y.L.I. on the left sub-sector of the Divisional front on the 18th near Reitres Farm.

There was continuous heavy shelling during the following twenty-four hours, and about 5.30 p.m. on the 19th a direct hit destroyed the Headquarters dug-out, and both the Commanding Officer, Lieut.-Colonel T. M. Rixon, M.C., and the Adjutant, Captain G. S. Wallington, were killed, in addition to 8 other ranks killed and 8 wounded. This was a terribly heavy blow to the Battalion on the eve of the attack. In the evening Major Cockburn came up and took over command and a fresh dug-out was made. (KRRC Chronicle for 1917 - p. 130)

Irv Mortenson

• 1 month later...

Hi Irv, :)

Very Many thanks for that. That is of very great interest to me.

Cheers

Tim.