Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

3rd Battalion Coldstream Guards

Hello,

I am trying to find out where the 3rd Batt,CSG were in October 1914. I am related to Pte. Fred Jamieson, 3rd Batt. who died in Wimereaux on October 31st 1914. On his medal card it says he was attached to a Light Railway Company? It's all a bit confusing so any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

16410880136_e6cb73021f_z.jpg

I have a roll for the 3rd Btn that lists which company they served in - will get back to you

Cant see him on there

As he died his papers wont be at the national archives or FMP etc - for some reason guards are not there

Ill dig a bit more

The btn was not at Wimereaux then so without checking where it could be died of wounds in hospital or was indeed attached elsewhere

From Army Registers of Soldiers' Effects, 1901-1929:

Name:    Frederick Jamieson
Birth Place:    Darlington
Death Date:    31 Oct 1914
Death Place:    No 4 Gen Hos Boulogne
Regiment:    Coldstream Guards
Regimental Number:    2308

and

Name:    Frederick Jamieson
Birth Date:    abt 1881
Death Date:    31 Oct 1914
Burial Place:    Darlington, Durham, England
Cemetery Name:    West Cemetery
Inscription:    In loving memory of/ our dear mother/ HANNAH JAMIESON/ died 31st July 1926/ aged 78 years./ Also of RICHARD/ husband of the above/ died 16th Feb 1926/ aged 77 years./ Also our dear brother FREDERICK/ son of the above died of wounds in France/ 31st Oct 1914/ aged 33 years./ STILL TO MEMORY DEAR.

http://www.1914-1918.net/hospitals.htm  says this: 

No 4 British Red Cross    Wimereux Nov 14 - Dec 15    Known as Sir Henry Norman's Hospital
No 4 General    St Nazaire Sep 14; Versailles Sep 14 - Jan 16; Camiers Jan 16 - Apr 19; Dunkerque Apr 19 - Nov 19

Edited by Chris_B

• 3 years later...

Hi @Coldstreamerare you able to tell me what company my great grandfather served in please? Thomas Henry Moore, CG 13540.

I’ve sent off to the archives for his information, does you previous commment mean that I won’t be able to get them? (You said the guards are not listed there?). 

Thank you. 

Hi,

Cant help re his Company but can tell you that the CG service records have been transferred to care of MOD Glasgow. It will cost £30 to get the copy papers. There may be a small amount of information on Findmypast site.

Steve

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/request-records-of-deceased-service-personnel

Ahh, that’s where I sent them too - Glasgow, £30. It was just before Christmas so haven’t heard anything yet. That’s good news then. Thank you. 

My coy details for 3rd btn are only for 1914 serving abroad  men sorry.  His number suggests he went to France later

And yes, I dont have access anymore

I'll check my records and give you a likely enlistment date

enlisted likely 7-9th September 1914