Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Photo Identification - Sanctuary Wood?

rhimsl

I wouldn't have said sanctuary wood....................it's hilly there, your piccies looks quite flat.

It's a nice picture though..............I wonder what the second man along is thinking????

My all sources say Chateau Wood 1917... that`s suppose to be in Ypres area, not sure where.

Chateau Wood is just north of Hooge and is named after Hooge Chateau. Bellewaerde fun park now stands in these woods.

Dave.

Right, Chateau Wood.

At least, that's what all captions say when published.

(Except once, where it said it was Boezinge (my village), the Yser Canal, but I'm sure this is wrong.)

Aurel

All doubt removed.

The official caption that goes with this IWM photo (E(Aus) 1220) :

"Scene of desolation in a wood, showing damaged trees, mud, etc.

Chateau Wood, Ypres, 29th October 1917."

Aurel

Hello Aurel,

Sometimes official caption is wrong.

The caption of this picture is " French cyclist..... in Wytschaete". I believe that this is rather Kemmel. On the right of the picture you can see the church(tower).

post-4-1103790377.jpg

Has anyone seen any vintage photos of Sanctuary Wood? Just curious.

Robert

Robert,

"Vintage photo" ? Well, this is "vintage", but not "photo".

But that's all I found.

I had hoped to find one in : Nigel Cave, Sanctuary Wood & Hooge. But there was only one, and very poor quality. (Apex Trench). Maybe Annette will find one.

Meanwhile you will have to do with this "heart-felt cartoon by a front line soldier showing his view of Sanctuary Wood" (from Whizz-Bang, the monthly journal of the Durham Light Infantry, published in Belgium in 1916 - taken from Nigel Cave's book).

Frie,

No doubt you are right. This cannot be Wijtschate, must be Kemmel indeed.

Aurel

post-4-1103796855.jpg

Chateau Wood is just north of Hooge and is named after Hooge Chateau. Bellewaerde fun park now stands in these woods.

Fun Park?!? :angry:

No need to be angry. We live here. Sorry.

(And this issue has been discussed in a thread some months ago.)

Aurel

Hi Aurel

I had hoped to find one in : Nigel Cave, Sanctuary Wood & Hooge. But there was only one, and very poor quality. (Apex Trench). Maybe Annette will find one.

That is the photo I was thinking of.

Annette

This is not the photo Annette and I had in mind, but maybe it is useful.

Taken from J. Giles, Flanders Then and Now, the Ypres Salient and Passchendaele. The caption is : "Sanctuary Wood, October 1917 [iWM]"

However, the same photo is in : Nigel Cave, Sanctuary Wood & Hooge", and there the caption is :

"Photographed from Hellblast Corner, on the edge of Zillebeke Lake, Mount Sorrel looms above Sanctuary wood."

Both captions seem to be in agreement, and may have a common source (the original caption on the IWM photo). Just a word of caution : Hell Blast Corner is 1.6 km (1 mile) from the west side of Sanctuary Wood (and 2 km or 1 1/4 miles west of Mount Sorrel).

I don't think that the nearest tree stumps on the photo are 1 mile away.

Aurel

post-4-1103828761.jpg

Fun Park?!? :angry:

Yes - and it is fun!

It's the perfect thing to put on this ridge of sad memories. Don't you think that all those who died there would be gladdened to hear the laughter and happy chatter of children enjoying themselves over the fields in which they died? It makes their sacrafice all the more worthwhile.

Dave :)

Yes - and it is fun!

It's the perfect thing to put on this ridge of sad memories. Don't you think that all those who died there would be gladdened to hear the laughter and happy chatter of children enjoying themselves over the fields in which they died? It makes their sacrafice all the more worthwhile.

Ok, I didn`t quite think about it that way... sorry, Merry Christmas!

Yes - and it is fun!

Ok, I didn`t quite think about it that way... sorry, Merry Christmas!

There's no need to apologise, Landsturm :) .

Merry Christmas to you and yours too.

All the best,

Dave. :)