Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Parking at monument on Cambrin to La Bassee Rd.

WilliamRev

In a month's time, on our way from Calais to Peronne, some friends and I are hoping to make a 20 minute flying visit to a site 100 yards south of the MONUMENT AUX MORTS DE LA 58 EME DIVISION, VIOLAINES, which is on the road from Cambrin as you head eastwards towards La Bassee. I have been before a few years ago, but it was part of a longer walk, and we parked a mile to the south (in a place recommended in Andrew Rawson's Loos book but which has room for a single car only), which is too far away for our purposes this time.

It is possible to pull off the Cambrin to La Bassee road, and park two cars on the track that runs past the monument? Or is there anywhere else within a 5 minute walk to park 2 cars? I have looked on Google Earth, but am no wiser. Any thoughts from people who have visited the Loos battlefield would be most welcome.

Thanks, William

• Admin

From memory, we pulled off the road onto the verge then onto the track. Or you could try parking by the old brick stacks ( the ruined power station) then you have  to cross the road, which could be tricky! A quieter option maybe to turn down that sharp right just past the monument and park on the verge of the tree lined Vermelles road? Where the Chemin de Cuinchy comes in, there's a track opposite which may be OK? 

Michelle 

I parked my motorbike just past the memorial on the other side of the road - towards La Bassee on an "informal" pull in area  in Feb. From memory it's plenty wide enough for cars. [busy road tho]   

Thanks, both of you. That is very helpful, That gives me possibilities on both sides of the road, so we could approach from either direction. If anyone else has any further thoughts then I would be interested to hear them too.

[My grandfather (see avatar) was a private in the 5th Scottish Rifles at Loos in 1915, and I am keen to take my friends to the site of the front line trench that they held.]

William

Edited by WilliamRev

• 3 weeks later...
  • Admin

Drove past today and there is a large pull off more or less opposite.

Michelle 

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/25/2017 at 19:48, Michelle Young said:

Drove past today and there is a large pull off more or less opposite.

Michelle 

Thanks MIchelle. The ground was hard, despite a little rain earlier, and we pulled onto the grass verge next to the monument on the south side of the road. This was much easier than I had feared. In the winter(or after prolonged rain) I think that the pull off on the north side of the road would be safer.

William

• Admin

I'm glad that it all worked out William. 

Michelle