Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

GRANGEGORMAN MILITARY CEMETERY

markinbelfast

Hi,

I need to get a pic of a grave in GRANGEGORMAN MILITARY CEMETERY....the cwgc site is vague about the whereabouts of the cemetery. Anyone any ideas how to get there....I'm researching

This man.

I was wondering where his medals ended up but then again fighting the treasonists he wouldn't have got any!...so says the m.i.c.

Hello, markinbelfast,

I can take the photos for you, if you like. The cemetery is in the grounds of Grangegorman Hospital, a short distance north of the River Liffey in Dublin.

It was King George's Hospital during the Great War, which is probably why the military cemetery is there.

Michael Pegum, Dublin

Sorry, I should have said St. Bricin's Hospital, not Grangegorman. It is still a military hospital. Anyway, I can take the photos.

Michael Pegum

During my army days I had an operation in St Bricins Hospital in Arbour Hill. I dont remember any cemetery in it except beside Arbour Hill Prison.

Tom

I think that's the one. I must admit I have never been there (!) but my contacts here in the Royal Dublin Fusiliers Association will put me on track if I go to take photos. I have been meaning to visit it anyway.

Michael Pegum

If that is the cemetery you are after prepare to be disappointed. The last time I was there the British gravestones were leaning up against the perimiter walls. It did not look to me like they were over graves either, of course that was in the eighties. There was fascinating information on them. I remember reading one that said it commerates xxxx who drowned with his horse in the liffey, etc..

The graveyard is in the grounds of the military church located at the back gates of Collins Barracks which is now the National Museum of Ireland. The Museum is located on the banks of the Liffey in Benburb Street.

Tom.

Grangegorman Military Cemetery

County Dublin, Ireland

Blackhorse Ave. Navan Rd

Dublin Ireland

Situated on Blackhorse Ave, off Navan Rd, facing the wall of the Phoenix Park, and just up the road from McKee Barracks.

Photograph Copyright © 2001, Anna Ryan

Website

• 3 weeks later...

Photos of graves

I will be visiting Grangegorman cemetery in the near future, weather permitting, to photograph the grave of Nathaniel Morton for "markinbelfast". I do now know just where the cemetery is!.

If anyone would like a photo of a particular grave, please let me know in the next day or so.

Michael Pegum

Michael,

I would appreciate a photograph of the grave of 2/Lt Alexander Lamont, of the King's Liverpool Regt. (Grave ref: Wes. Officers. 28.)

He was one of the casualties of the SS Leinster but I haven't yet established why he was on board at the time.

Thanks in advance,

Ken

Michael I would be extremely grateful if you could take a picture of Lieutenant Harold Daffen's grave for me please. Harold is an ex pupil of King Edwards school retford, a group I am researching. He was killed during the Eastre Rising 1916 and was a member of the 2/8 Sherwood Foresters. The garve reference taken from the CWGC is C.E. Officers.4.

Thanks

Dorrie

Photographs of graves

Here are small versions of photos of the graves of Harold Daffen, Alexander Lamont and Nathaniel Morton. I will be sending large .jpg files to those who requested them by e-mail.

About N. Morton. The CWGC says he was in the Royal Irish Rifles, and so does a contemporary list in the book published by the "Weekly Irish Times" just after the rebellion. However, his gravestone says "18/250 Lance Cpl. N. Morton, Royal Irish Fusiliers 28th April 1916." There is no other Morton in the cemetery, so I think this must be the right grave.

Let me know if the full-size images get through all right.

Michael Pegum

post-19-1105635225.jpg