Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who's who...a photo challenge

jay dubaya

Whilst looking for something completely unrelated I stumbled across the photo below on an American forum. The Army officers and one face in particular caught my eye so I read the several posts and concluded with the thought that you lot may like a challenge. There are possible names for 24 of the 30 faces but I doubt we'll ever name the tea girl so make that 29.

group.jpg.fe5de0e575a67a365eef4c46bf016ee4.jpg

contour.jpg.50fc4179545169f7e72f1a1294d30027.jpg

Well done Mike... no prizes but please help your self to the fig rolls

10 minutes ago, Stoppage Drill said:

I have seen this photo before.

Which numbers are the five missing names ?

If you remember where SD let me know as this is as clear is I can get the above image. Names missing for 10,11,19,20,21 & 22, just realised that's 6 names not including the tea girl 

Just now, jay dubaya said:

Well done Mike... no prizes but please help yourself to the fig rolls

If you remember where SD let me know as this is as clear is I can get the above image. Names missing for 10,11,19,20,21 & 22, just realised that's 6 names not including the tea girl 

The photo has been doing the rounds on t'interweb as efforts have been made to name everybody in what is an astonishing gathering of very prominent individuals.

The Military Horse Society site seems to have a pretty full list of names, with just the exceptions you have mentioned.

Number 21 seems to be a Welsh Guards officer. Could it be T.R.C. Price, who was CO 1 WG at the date of the photo (which seems to be reliably dated to 1922.)

I have an image of Price in a group taken at Wormhoudt six years earlier, and all I can say is "Could be".

I am not 100% convinced that No 5 is Smith-Dorrien.

He was Governor of Gib. in 1922, and whilst that doesn't preclude his presence at an event in UK it does make it just a little less likely. No 5 doesn't seem to have enough medal ribbons to be S-D either - 4 rows by 1922. The hooded eyelids of the man in the photo were not a facial feature of S-D.

• Admin

And one assumes that Lady Smith-Dorrien would be there too, none of the ladies look like her from what I can see having looked for images.

Michelle 

• Admin

I've been looking at 8 for a while wondering if it could be Kipling.  I don't think Queen Mary or Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon are in there. Duke of Connaught looks ok. 

Michelle 

Well it makes sense to cut to the chase and have what is already known written in the thread, so here is what I copied from the forum where I found the picture. Mike, I would probably say the link you posted is the original query (of which I haven't seen before) and likewise with SDs Military Horse Society, both posters appear to be the same person, it looks like the forum where I initially found the image was lifted from the Military Horse Society forum page.

SD you have eagle eyes and I would probably agree with the WG cap badge, I haven't yet seen a known image of Price but likely that you've put a name to one missing off the list. I do think it's Kipling (8) with the thick set chin and likewise with Smith-Dorrien other known images show a remarkable likeness. I'll have a read through the original thread as it's the occasion that has put all these faces together that interests me and from what is written below there are several possible dates for the image.

1 Princess Royal Mary, Viscountess Lascelles, daughter of King George V
2 Major General Sir Fabian Arthur Goulstone Ware KCVO, KBE, CB, CMG, founder of the Imperial War Graves Commission
3 Queen Alexander of Denmark, wife of King Edward VII
4 Prince Arthur, Duke of Connaught and Strathearn, son of Queen Victoria. Note black armband: he may be in mourning for the death of his close friend Field Marshal Sir Henry Hughes Wilson, shot by IRA gunmen in London, June 22nd 1922.
5 General Sir Horace Lockwood Smith-Dorrien, Governor of Gibraltar. He devoted much his time to the welfare and remembrance of Great War     soldiers. 
6 Carrie Kipling, wife of Rudyard
7 Elsie Kipling, daughter of Carrie & Rudyard
8 Rudyard Kipling, author. Kipling's role was to advise the IWGC on inscriptions and other literary matters, and he was a founder member together with Tom Goodland (No 16) and others of The Builders of the Silent Cities, a Masonic lodge for IWGC staff.
9 Captain George Louis St Clair Bambridge, Diplomat, of Wimpole Hall, near Cambridge: will marry Elsie Kipling in 1924
10 & 11 Not yet identified
12 Helen (“Nellie”) Taft, wife of No 13
13 US Chief Justice William Howard Taft, formerly US President. On three week fact-finding visit to Britain, 16th June-8th July 1922
14 Sir Reginald Theodore Blomfield (architect of Menin Gate memorial, Ypres)
15 Captain William Masters, R.A.S.C.
16 Lt.-Col. Herbert Thomas "Tom" Goodland, Deputy Controller IWGC
17 Sir John Simon, a brilliant lawyer who had visited Taft in the US, and was almost certainly a key figure in the return visit. In fact Taft stayed with Sir John at his home at Fritwell  Manor near Oxford, on the weekend of 1st/2nd July. Sir John went on to fill nearly every major post in government: Attorney General, Home Secretary, Foreign Secretary, Chancellor of the Exchequer and Lord Chancellor.
18 Sir John James Burnett, architect of War memorials at Gallipoli and Jerusalem
19 to 22 Not yet identified, though note white “competitor” armband on 19
23 Donald Sterling Palmer Howard, 3rd Baron Strathcona and Mount Royal.
24, 25, 26 Possibly Sir Edwin Lutyens (25) in homburg with his wife and daughter
27 Sir Robert Stodard Lorimer, architect of the Scottish National War Memorial at Edinburgh Castle
28 Sir James Allen, NZ High Commissioner. He was appointed an Officer of the Legion of Honour in February 1922 when he was High Commissioner in London.
29 Sir Frederic Kenyon, Director and Principal Librarian, British Museum

Edited by jay dubaya

• Admin

I don't think it's Princess Mary or Queen Alexandra. 

Michelle 

• 5 years later...
On 11/09/2017 at 14:19, jay dubaya said:

Well it makes sense to cut to the chase and have what is already known written in the thread, so here is what I copied from the forum where I found the picture. Mike, I would probably say the link you posted is the original query (of which I haven't seen before) and likewise with SDs Military Horse Society, both posters appear to be the same person, it looks like the forum where I initially found the image was lifted from the Military Horse Society forum page.

SD you have eagle eyes and I would probably agree with the WG cap badge, I haven't yet seen a known image of Price but likely that you've put a name to one missing off the list. I do think it's Kipling (8) with the thick set chin and likewise with Smith-Dorrien other known images show a remarkable likeness. I'll have a read through the original thread as it's the occasion that has put all these faces together that interests me and from what is written below there are several possible dates for the image.

1 Princess Royal Mary, Viscountess Lascelles, daughter of King George V
2 Major General Sir Fabian Arthur Goulstone Ware KCVO, KBE, CB, CMG, founder of the Imperial War Graves Commission
3 Queen Alexander of Denmark, wife of King Edward VII
4 Prince Arthur, Duke of Connaught and Strathearn, son of Queen Victoria. Note black armband: he may be in mourning for the death of his close friend Field Marshal Sir Henry Hughes Wilson, shot by IRA gunmen in London, June 22nd 1922.
5 General Sir Horace Lockwood Smith-Dorrien, Governor of Gibraltar. He devoted much his time to the welfare and remembrance of Great War     soldiers. 
6 Carrie Kipling, wife of Rudyard
7 Elsie Kipling, daughter of Carrie & Rudyard
8 Rudyard Kipling, author. Kipling's role was to advise the IWGC on inscriptions and other literary matters, and he was a founder member together with Tom Goodland (No 16) and others of The Builders of the Silent Cities, a Masonic lodge for IWGC staff.
9 Captain George Louis St Clair Bambridge, Diplomat, of Wimpole Hall, near Cambridge: will marry Elsie Kipling in 1924
10 & 11 Not yet identified
12 Helen (“Nellie”) Taft, wife of No 13
13 US Chief Justice William Howard Taft, formerly US President. On three week fact-finding visit to Britain, 16th June-8th July 1922
14 Sir Reginald Theodore Blomfield (architect of Menin Gate memorial, Ypres)
15 Captain William Masters, R.A.S.C.
16 Lt.-Col. Herbert Thomas "Tom" Goodland, Deputy Controller IWGC
17 Sir John Simon, a brilliant lawyer who had visited Taft in the US, and was almost certainly a key figure in the return visit. In fact Taft stayed with Sir John at his home at Fritwell  Manor near Oxford, on the weekend of 1st/2nd July. Sir John went on to fill nearly every major post in government: Attorney General, Home Secretary, Foreign Secretary, Chancellor of the Exchequer and Lord Chancellor.
18 Sir John James Burnett, architect of War memorials at Gallipoli and Jerusalem
19 to 22 Not yet identified, though note white “competitor” armband on 19
23 Donald Sterling Palmer Howard, 3rd Baron Strathcona and Mount Royal.
24, 25, 26 Possibly Sir Edwin Lutyens (25) in homburg with his wife and daughter
27 Sir Robert Stodard Lorimer, architect of the Scottish National War Memorial at Edinburgh Castle
28 Sir James Allen, NZ High Commissioner. He was appointed an Officer of the Legion of Honour in February 1922 when he was High Commissioner in London.
29 Sir Frederic Kenyon, Director and Principal Librarian, British Museum

You may have sorted this by now but...

As a Bambridge I have researched George Louis St Clair Bambridge and the Kiplings.

I am sure none of the Kipling's are in this photo . Your No 9 could be George...if he had gained weight by then

You can see lots of photos of George and the Kiplings on Ancestry website 

My family tree has their pics .

What a great photo ....the Grèat and the Good as they say!

Cheers