Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Bac-Du-Sud British war cemetery

mcfc1923

Just wondered if anyone has ever visited the Bac-Du-Sud British Cemetery ?

I have seen info on most of the war cemeteries but very little on this one.

my grandfathers brother is buried there, and i'll be going to pay my respects ther next year.

jim

Sorry never been but you will find a lovely photograph here.

Bac-du-Sud British Cemetery, Pas-de-Calais

Liam

and this one:

My interest in this cemetery is due to there being three men of the 9th Bn King's Liverpool Regt buried there. All three died of wounds in September 1918.

post-19-1103747053.jpg

cheers pals, much appreciated, i'm going ther in March, don't expect the weather to be as good as it is in the pics, but it looks a lovely little cemetery that's for sure.

jim

• Admin

If my failing memory serves me, I think that the famous gassed painting was painted at the dressing station attached to this cemetery.

Michelle :blink:

If my failing memory serves me, I think that the famous gassed painting was painted at the dressing station attached to this cemetery.

Michelle :blink:

Michelle, would this be the famous gassed painting that i know nothing about ?

no one tell's me nowt :D

michelle, any more info on this painting?, my great uncle who is buried in this cemetery died of wounds, it never accurred to me that he may have died due to the effects of being gassed.

jim

• Admin

Morning, Jim

The painting I referred to is called Gassed and it is by John Singer Sargent. It depicts a row of men with bandaged eyes holding onto each others shoulders. One soldier is retching , and another has his right leg raised as if climbing. I read somewhere that in the extreme background, a game of football is discernible, and looking closely, at the image you can just make it out.

Regards, Michelle

Just tried to put a scan on, but at this time of the morning, the brain is refusing to obey basic commands. IF I get the time later, I'll try and post it again.

Edited by Michelle Young

John Singer Sargent's painting Gassed hangs in the Imperial War Museum in London; the canvas is over seven feet high and twenty feet long. This impressive painting depicts soldiers blinded by gas being led in lines back to the hospital tents and the dressing stations; the men lie on the ground all about the tents waiting for treatment.

More information can be found here:-LINK

lIAM

Cheers pals, that's the first time iv'e seen that painting before, would love a decent size print of it, I expect they sell them at the IWM ?, it must be an impressive site to see at 7 feet high and 20 feet long.

that is one impressive website Marco, realy impressed.

cheers Michelle, larneman, Marco, Ken,

all have a great xmas and newyear

jim