Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

HMS Idaho at Milford Haven - Artillery?

ashurrell

I'm currently researching the role my great grandfather played in WW1. I have little information to go on, with my grandfather dying before I was born, and my father knowing little about his life. I have bought and downloaded naval records, which include his involvement with HMS Idaho at Milford Haven, in Wales. However, his letter is 'DA', which I have researched to find out that it stands for Divisional Artillery. Would artillery regiments really be present on HMS Idaho, which was a small boat used for patrol and later as a tugboat? I'd appreciate anything you could tell me.

Hello ashurrell, and welcome to the Forum!

DA for divisional artillery is a specifically Army reference, and would therefore not be correct for RN vessels. It's possible that DA had a different meaning in the Navy.

Ron

Thanks for clarifying. However now I can't find DA as being an abbreviation in the navy, but the record that I have definitely says that he was in the RNR.

Actually, the National Archives list deck hand to be D.H or D.HD. Where did you find DA meaning deck hand?

Edited by ashurrell

Look at page 282 of the Kenneth Douglas-Morris book  'The Naval Long Service Medals 1830-1990' where he outlines the RNR  Trawler numbering system for men.

D.A. stands for deck hand  but 'Deck And' might be easier to remember.

Sometimes the letter is shown as a prefix eg DA 1234 which is the way the National Archives  (TNA) show it and sometimes it appears as a suffix eg  1234 DA which is in line with the RNR Regulations.  I follow the RNR Regulation approach because it allows a more coherent explanation of the numbering system than the TNA can manage .

ernest james

1 hour ago, ashurrell said:

Actually, the National Archives lost deck hand to be D.H or D.HD. Where did you find DA meaning deck hand?

Do not confuse the abbreviations for the rating of Deck Hand, (D.H. or D.Hd.) with the suffix (I agree with ernest james) to the Official Number of a Deck Hand which is DA. (Similarly Second Hand is abbreviated to 2.Hd. and has an official number suffix of SA.)

Thanks for the clarification. One more thing: was it usual for a 31 year old to be a deck hand? From the job title, it sounds like it would be given to younger men.

Was he a fisherman before the war? Thats the background of many of these men.

ernest james

HMS IDAHO was the depot ship/parent ship for trawlers and drifters (most of them hired) of the  Auxiliary Patrol based at Milford Haven. Although most support activity (including pay and administration) was carried out ashore, such 'stone frigates' had to be commissioned RN ships as men had to belong to ships in commission to be subject to the Naval Discipline Act. 'Nominal' ships fulfilled this need. HMS IDAHO was,initially, a hired yacht of that name until January 1919 when the name HMS IDAHO was passed to a trawler, GIOVANNI GUNTI and the yacht was returned to her owners. Before August 1916, the Milford Haven base was known as HMS SABRINA or SABRINA II., the role being met by another hired yacht of that name.