Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Christmas on the Somme

burlington

Apart from residents (both live & dead), does anyone spend Christmas Day etc on the Somme?

If so, why & where?

Frankly, I can't think of a more sad activity, but you might disagree. :D

Guest Russell.Gore@crawley.gov.uk
:) I spent Xmax last year in the Salient,stayed at a small hotel on Mont Kemmel,Great Atmosphere,went to Christmas Day service at St.Georges chapel,then had a nice meal in Ypres then went for a good walk in Plugstreet Wood,visited a few Cemeterys in the Wood,by this time it was getting dark,so it was back to the Hotel for a few well earned Beers.As for the Somme,i think that the whole area shuts down for Xmas..you could ask Paul Reed what happens on the Somme as he lives ther,personally though Belgfium gets my vote for Xmas everytime.

I'll be spending New Year (from the 30th) on the Somme. With invites to two new year's eve parties and a drinks soiree to go to I don't feel sad at all. In fact, I cant wait. Crisp cold days on the Somme, virtually no tourists and a feeling that you have the whole place to your self - simply splendid. I've done Central London, Trafalgar Square, etc and similar many times and don't miss it at all :D

Seasons greetings!

Frankly, I can't think of a more sad activity, but you might disagree.

Hi There, :)

I think you're being a little unfair. Everyone to their own. Good luck to anyone who is going over in the festive period. Merry Christmas.

Cheers

Tim.

Tim

My comment about being 'sad' was a very strictly personal view.

Christmas is not only about being merry- though this is really what I like.

It is also about missing friends & relatives, and how one remembers them, regardless of why they are missing.

I think I have said enough. As you say every one to their own. This posting was my view.

Best wishes for the season

Martin

In fact, I cant wait. Crisp cold days on the Somme, virtually no tourists and a feeling that you have the whole place to your self - simply splendid

Sums it up beautifully. Winter is always my favourite time on the Western Front for all the reasons above.