Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Cultural Experience tours

Sprucey

http://www.theculturalexperience.com/tour10045/battlefield-tours/the-gallipoli-campaign-battlefield-tour.html?sid=352bcb27308ddc4dfeb42813925b2217

Hi, im thinking about taking this trip to Gallipoli next year. I've visited the Western Front more times than i can remember but i've never been to other theatres.

i'm just about to start an MA in the Great War and i consider myself pretty well read on the subject. I wonder if other people have used these guys before and if so i'd be really interested in impressions? I'd be doing it on my own so interested in what the group dynamics were like too.

many thanks

David

You might want to look also at tours organised by Battle Honours in association with the Gallipoli Association.

Peter Hart has suspended his Gallipoli trips, which in my humble opinion were the best deal of all with more time on the battlefields. I can't comment at all on the tour you mention as they are outside my experience..

Things to consider in comparing different companies:  How much walking time on the ground versus time in museums or at memorials, expertise of guides etc. It really depends on the kind of tour that you want.

Some other operations run from Eceabat - saving a lot of ferry time, but with more basic hotels and local amenities. That's worth checking out.

Keith

I'm with Keith on this although I must declare an interest, I am leading 2 tours for Battle Honours in November this year.  Stephen Chambers and Clive Harris are excellent guides and the BH product is a walking tour which means you will get to places that coach based tours don't go to. 

David,

I don't know either Dr Bruce Cherry or Midas Tours Ltd/The Cultural Experience

However I have made several visits to Gallipoli with the company mentioned by Keith & Gareth and I am more than happy to add my recommendation for them.

Battle Honours Tours work with The Gallipoli Association, and Steve Chambers is a trustee of the latter organisation as well as being their Historian, and a qualified Battlefield Guide. He is also the author of five or six books devoted to this campaign, some of which have been translated into Turkish.

The tour in May this year was a great success with the British guides supplemented by two Turkish guides giving valuable insights into what was happening on the other side of the front line.

I look forward to seeing their itinerary for 2018 and may well go with them again

Good luck

Michael

Thanks gentlemen. Very helpful.

HI,

We haven't suspended tours, we have just suspended 'scheduled' tours. We will only go if we can get over ten people who want to go - we can't afford to go with just 3-4 punters! The main reason for the tours is to get me over there so I am still very intent on touring with like-minded people. You can contact us via Facebook or a multitude of methods. 

Cheers,

Pete

My apologies Peter for misrepresenting your action, shorthand phrases and geriatric memory may have caused the confusion. I hope to pay another visit with you and Roger at a suitable date.

Keith

23 hours ago, PMHart said:

The main reason for the tours is to get me over there

At first sight it may seem strange that I would go back to Gallipoli, year after year, with the same tour group and guiding company

However, my tours with the Gallipoli Association/Battle Honours have always managed to take me to somewhere new each year

For example, in May this year I had my first visit to Fort Rumeli Mecidiye, to Romanos Well, and my first boat tour simulating the approach to the Anzac Beaches

As long as the GA and Battle Honours keep putting their members/punters first, and ensuring it is they who get the maximum experience out of their visit, then they will be assured of my custom.

Edited by michaeldr

Michael, that is quite an endorsement! IF I can find the cash then I'll look into 2018...