Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

My great, great grandfather's story

pnewton84

Hi all, new to the forum! A few weeks ago I downloaded my great, great grandad's army records during a free weekend on Ancestry. Until then, I knew very little about his time in WW1. However, over the last few weeks I've written up his records into a blog which you can read here.

He served with the Loyal North Lancashires, was wounded in a Battle of the Somme, and I discovered that he was severely reprimanded twice. I wonder if his family at the time ever found out about that.

Just wanted to share his story with this forum, which helped me with my research. I hope someone enjoys reading it.

Paul

Paul

Welcome to the Forum. I have often read the report of the bombing raid on the Intermediate Line in the WD of 10 LNL on 11/08/1916 and I walked the ground a couple of years ago. The Bolton Journal has two photographs of 10 LNL. On 26/02/1915 it pictured some of the Bn with a goat mascot and reported that 75% of the men were from Bolton. There is another photo in the BJ 30/07/1915 of the NCOs of C Coy 10 LNL naming them. I will check it out. The photo in your Blog of a Bn of the LNL on 17/04/1916 is on display in the Lancashire Infantry Museum at Fulwood Barracks, Preston. From memory I think it is 4 LNL.

Brian

10 hours ago, pnewton84 said:

Just wanted to share his story with this forum, which helped me with my research. I hope someone enjoys reading it.

Paul

I for one enjoyed it Paul - it brought his war to life. Well written & well presented - I'm jealous of your computer skills!

Jane

Paul,

An impressive piece of research and a great story, I really enjoyed reading it. It's possible that when he went AWOL he was suffering from shell shock (what is now referred to as Post Traumatic Stress Disorder).

Mark.

Paul,

Well done, a great read, I love the Bolton 'war cry'.

Mike.

1 hour ago, MikeyH said:

Paul,

Well done, a great read, I love the Bolton 'war cry'.

Mike.

That's what touched me when I first came across it at Kew while researching 5 LNL at Guillemont in August 1916. I copied the report for Bolton Library and also for the Lancashire Infantry Museum in the days before the WDs were on Ancestry. It made me wonder whether they went into that action thinking that they would never see their home town again.

Brian

On 02/09/2017 at 21:33, brianmorris547 said:

Paul

Welcome to the Forum. I have often read the report of the bombing raid on the Intermediate Line in the WD of 10 LNL on 11/08/1916 and I walked the ground a couple of years ago. The Bolton Journal has two photographs of 10 LNL. On 26/02/1915 it pictured some of the Bn with a goat mascot and reported that 75% of the men were from Bolton. There is another photo in the BJ 30/07/1915 of the NCOs of C Coy 10 LNL naming them. I will check it out. The photo in your Blog of a Bn of the LNL on 17/04/1916 is on display in the Lancashire Infantry Museum at Fulwood Barracks, Preston. From memory I think it is 4 LNL.

Brian

Thank you all for your replies, glad you enjoyed reading it, and thanks Brian for this info :)

Paul