Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Use of merchant ships for troop transport

oak

I would be grateful if anyone could give me details on any book/s, article/s or web site/s that have information on the transport of troops across the English Channel during WW1. My interest in the subject derives from the use of the commandeered R.M.S. Connaught as a troop ship between Southampton and Le Harve from May 1915 to 3 March 1917, when she was torpedoed and sunk on the return journey with the loss of three of her crew. (Did a commandeered ship's crew normally stay with her during war service? Who paid them during this service? Following the sinking of the Connaught, her captain made a report to the managing director of the company who owned the ship, appearing to suggest that captains continued to submit reports to their shipping companies even though the ships were under Admiralty control).

Regards,

Philip

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Graham McInnes

Phillip

I think you wll find the cross channel troopships were on commenrcial charter and therefore retained there normal peacetime crew. The shipowners received payment from the War Office and remained responsible for recruiting and paying the crew. Some charters were short term particularily at the start of the war to move the BEF to France but with the ever increasing size of the BEF in France longer term Charters became the norm. Some of the ships had been used in peacetime on one off charters. Billy Congreve mentions in his diary published as 'Armagedon Road' being familiar with the pig boat that took him to France having had the pleasure before the war. Sorry cannot remember the ships name.

In 1917 the Government took full control of all UK shipping but would have continued to pay the shipowners the agreed charter rate. Hope the above helps.

Many thanks Graham,

Happy New Year to you and to all forum members.

Regards,

Philip