Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte William Charles Cowley, RI Regiment

manxman

Whilst researching the family tree my Great Aunt remembered that her father had spoken of a brother who'd died in the Great War, who turned out to be the above named.

A search of local newspapers revealed that

He stood 6 ft tall, was 20yrs and in September 1914 he joined the 4th Hussars, trained in Dublin for 10 months and then transferred to the 2nd Battalion, Royal Irish Regiment (Regimental number 8158) and went to France.

Reports say that he was shot and wounded on either the 23/11/15 or 27/11/15 (different dates in different reports) in the vicinity of Arras and suffered a fractured spine. It is said he was shot by a sniper whilst leaving a trench. The paper copies a letter from an E.D. Smail, sister in charge of a CCS. He then went to a base hospital in Rouen.

He was subsequntly transferred to the Royal Victoria Military Hospital at Netley Abbey, his relatives were called for urgently just before Xmas 1915. He died on the 23rd February 1916 at the hospital and was brought home to Peel, Isle of Man for burial on the 27th Feb. 1916.

There was a lot of press coverage because apparently he was the first of the Peel boys who died to actually be brought home. It is reported there was a guard of honour numbering 500 men from the Knockaloe internment camp guard, along with the band of the 10th Company KLR. The local Oddfellows (he was a member), lifeboat crew and rocket brigade all paraded.

It is said that large crowds had greeted his coffin when it had been taken to his father's (Henry Cowley) house the night before burial, outside the chapel during the funeral service and at the graveside.

Can anyone answer the following queries

What were the 2RIR up to on the 23rd to 27th Nov 1915?

Does William feature in "Soldiers died............"?

Were cavalry regiments (such as the 4th Hussars) "combed" for troops to reinforce the infantry in 1915?

Where is Netley Abbey?

I am very glad to find out about a relative that the family had all but forgotten about...

He is listed in "Soldiers Died......"

Royal Irish Regiment

2nd Battalion

Cowley

William Charles

Born Peel, IOM

Enlisted Douglas, IOM

Residence Peel

Date of Death 23.02.16 (that is the date given and CWGC has the same date)

Died of Wounds

Died "Home"

Formerly 23047, K. O. Hussars

Tom

Terry, Tom

thankyou v. much

• 1 month later...

thank you all

Manxman , do you know of any other islanders who were brought home to be buried?

I grew up in Ramsey, was educated at King William's and my parents still live in Ramsey - but I had never come across any WW1 casualties in the cemetaries in the north of the Island.

As an aside have you ever read Island at War? It is a good book with a fairly comprehensive war history of amongst others the Manx Fencibles and what looks like a pretty complete roll of honour for the island. Can't remember the lady authors name but think it may be West. Anyway worth a look if you have not seen it. I think it is currently out of print but the library at the Manx Museum is sure to have a copy.

Regards

David

• 1 month later...

There are a few WW1 graves in the North of the Island according to the Commonwealth war graves site

• 3 weeks later...

just an update.

I very nearly knew nothing about this lad. My Great Aunt who only mentioned her uncle in December, died in January. No one else in the family knew of him. Strange how things work out ..............