Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Promising new militaria book and US vs UK prices

Max Poilu

As many collectors here will know there is still a lack of really good militaria books for Great War collectors in certain areas of subject. Those interested in the IIWW have a much better choice with virtually every angle covered. I have a mountain of WW1 reference books but there are still gaps in many areas.

Anyway, just noticed Schiffer are soon to launch a new title in the high quality large format 'Uniforms and Equipment' series covering the British Army:

Uniforms & Equipment of the British Army in World War I

This sounds very promising if it is anything like the German titles.

But within the US you can order direct from the publisher with free shipping and the book is $69.99 - only £37. They will not ship overseas - you must use their UK distributor. I just emailed them and the price in the Uk is over £60 including shipping...

I think the phrase rhymes with 'clucking bell' as Blackadder once said.

Would any US Pal be willing to act as a go-between for us poor UK readers and ship a copy or two over here for members who wish to buy or is there a US book dealer who handles this sort of thing?

Giles - the phrase "Rip Off Britain" also comes to mind. When visiting the battlefields why does a hotel room in France cost only 50 euro when it costs £50 + from the same chain here in UK. It certainly ain't higher wages!

Just to follow this up. After complaining to the UK distributor I received a very helpful reply offering the books at the US price if I could pay in US dollars - a total incl p+p of $80 or £42.

Very impressed...but logging onto US Amazon the book will be available at only $44 (£23). Shipping to the UK is $9 on top - less than the £5.50 the UK distributor wants. So I have pre-ordered the book (pub Jan 2005) for a total of £28.

Rip-off Britain indeed. :angry:

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if this still applies, but I'd be willing to help out...I can buy this at US prices and get it shipped to the UK also...

Contact me off-list if interested.

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

Giles,

It certainly does look to be a useful resource. I noticed that publication has been delayed until March 1 also - a little longer to wait.

Robbie

Thanks Robbie - shame! Is that the US publication date?

PS - good buzz at the fair at Marconi hall, Chelmsford today - a few postcards for you, but not much other Great War stuff...as always. :(

Yes Giles, US pub. date. Did you get anything at the fair?

Robbie

• 3 weeks later...

To let you all know the book "Uniforms & Equipment of the British Army in World War One - A Study in Period Photographs" is now available in the UK.

I got my copy this morning.

regards,

Steve

Got my copy awhile back. Helps being in the US and only two hours away from the publisher.

Very Very Good study of the British/ Empire/Commonwealth Army through period photos.

Never before seen photos (oddly--except one) backed by accurate descriptions which can be rare.

Seems that a forum member actually wrote this work.

Good work Steve--

Joe Sweeney