Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

US Consul, Baghdad 1916

charlie962

Most accounts of the prisoners taken at Kut make mention of the aid given by the US Consulate at Baghdad. I believe the Consul was Charles Brissell and that he died 1917 or 1918 of disease, no doubt contracted from the close contact he insisted on having with the prisoners. But that is all I know about him. I've asked Mr G. for more info but no luck.

Can anyone point me to a resume of this man's career, his place of burial (repatriated to US perhaps,) and any commemoration or memorial for him?

Charlie

I have just found this. I suspect he deserves more?

AFSA   American Foreign Service Association

Honoring Americans Who Lost Their Lives Under Heroic or Other Inspirational Circumstances or Otherwise in the Line of Duty While Serving the U.S. Government and the American People Abroad in Foreign Affairs

Charles F. Brissel
Cholera — Baghdad 1916

Charles Frederick Brissel was born in Brooklyn, New York in 1879. He served as U.S. vice and deputy Consul to Amoy (now Xiamen), China and U.S. consul to Baghdad in modern-day Iraq.

Edited by charlie962

There are other references to Brissell in the various Kut books, I am sure - may be worth using archive.org which now offers a text search of books (beta version) on its main page. I would check my books myself but I am at present in borderland Wales....

16 hours ago, seaJane said:

There are other references to Brissell in the various Kut books

Yes but whilst mentioning the debt to the Consul or even Mr Brissel they don't say anything about the man;

16 hours ago, seaJane said:

archive.org which now offers a text search

Thanks, I thought MrG covered this but evidently not. This came from the Oberlin Alumni Magazine Dec 1916:

59a56caac170e_KutBrisselCFOberlinAlumniDec1916.JPG.00e2e3815a2e160f8322b3fdc105537d.JPG    

• 3 years later...

Dear Mr.charlie

i would like to inform you that the consul of USA in Baghdad Mr. Charles F. Brissel

dead by cholera in 1916..

Two years ago I was looking for the Commonwealth’s soldiers who dead during WW1 in Baghdad capital of Mesopotamia (Iraq later), and by coincidence while I were searching in British graveyard which iraq have so many from it, I found his grave stone and I took photo for it..

i believe there are no one else than me have this photo ...

the photo will be attache with this post .

my regards  

Ahmed Ghalib 

442132E4-FC94-403A-B8E2-2A2976468B85.jpeg

Ahmed,

Salam

Sorry to go off topic, but do you have photos of the German graves in Baghdad?

I am trying to find the names of the Germans lost during the Great war in Iraq and buried there?

shukraan lak

S.B

Salam Steve 

regarding the German’s soldiers graves,

there is a German’s soldiers cemetery located in east Baghdad.. I tried to visit and document it but unfortunately the cemetery’s guard was absent ..

i hope if I visit Baghdad next year I would  document it with pictures..

I will attach some photos with this post from the visiting of the German ambassador to the graveyard this your .

regards 

Ahmed Ghalib 

127D34F4-8347-4DED-9ED4-D2D5AA88302B.png

FA6C9255-E7B4-461E-AC8B-67A5163ABFB6.jpeg

D5800003-3FE7-45C2-9D7C-FAC3F0FE31EE.jpeg

09F0B576-85A8-4D7B-A306-E5E3CFDD36E7.jpeg

85AB96C1-1D9E-4665-A64D-F900BB826EEA.jpeg

Ahmed,

Shukraan jazilaan

So not to take away from charlies question, we should open a new question when you can get to check those graves out.

'Abaq amnana waetn binafsik

S.B