Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Looking for a newspaper obituary Photo for this man

Barry Russell

Looking for a photo obituary for PTE Thomas Kinsella 27601 A coy 10th Bn Royal Dublin Fusiliers died 12/10/1918.

A friend of mine is having a hard time finding one for his Great Grandfather 

Thanks

The best bet, by far, will be the local newspaper for wherever he came from, or lived. The very local weekly paper is usually a better bet than a more regional daily.  But, I suspect your friend will already know that and have drawn a blank.

Barry, stating the obvious.. Camera's were a fairly new and expensive item even for small newspapers. local 'rags' would probably not have taken photos of local people as many of their readers would know them. it would be nice to have had a photo of my grandfather and his 4 or 5 brothers off to war but being a small farming village all that is available is a newspaper cutting saying 'the king thanks Mr ..of Crudwell for letting his 5 sons serve their country' . (from memory, hence name missing). Today it would have had a couple of photos of the boys in uniform, and a family one.

the down side was, my grandfather came back without a mention in the paper, his 4 brothers and a cousin all died. So far I have only one cutting saying the name of one of the boys had been killed. the grapevine would have let the village know about the rest.

Edited by chaz

3 minutes ago, chaz said:

local 'rags' would probably not have taken photos of local people

Agreed. Photographs of the deceased were invariably supplied by the families. So many appear in my local newspapers that it must have been commonplace for men to get their photo taken in uniform before they went off on active service.

He spent 2 days at the Newspaper Archives in Pearse street library but turned up nothing.

• 4 weeks later...

Our local town paper didn't print any photographs until a few years after the war - they didn't have the technology. However, a couple of county papers did use photos which included a small proportion of the lads who died.

Perhaps your friend may wish to consider looking at records and images in particular of the inmates of Friedrichsfeld POW Camp where  Pte. Kinsella (#27601) was seemingly held and died:

https://livesofthefirstworldwar.org/lifestory/2272130

https://grandeguerre.icrc.org/en/File/Details/2494031/3/2/
https://grandeguerre.icrc.org/en/List/2494031/698/37249/

https://palmerww1powtrail.wordpress.com/2016/12/04/friedrichsfeld-pow-camp/

https://www.google.co.uk/search?dcr=0&q=friedrichsfeld+pow+camp&spell=1&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjT7-vL1LvWAhWHaFAKHdMRCGQQvwUIIygA&biw=1335&bih=915

Assuming he or a relative can identify him based on family likeness if there are no other clues. I like this one of one of their football teams.

The Prussian may be of help here.

Edited by TGM

Our local newspaper (Wells Journal) had no photos either, but they did list names of those serving in the first few months of the war every week. The paper stopped this when the size of the newspaper went down from 8 pages to 4 pages (from memory - can't remember just when) and so had very little room.

In addition:

Some areas had then, and even today, poor  coverage in local newspapers. I confirmed this last month with our local record office -  local papers have never had much on my own village   (although a couple of years ago it did make national headlines for political reasons and I am not about to breach Forum Rules!)

Honora

I was researching a PoW recently and was pleased to find a fabulous photos of him in the Bury Free Press - his parents lived in the Borough of St Edmundsbury, but he had left the area some 5-7 years before. It's worth watching some of the BNA webinars (they started this year) for further pointers.

Edited by TGM
typo

7 hours ago, Honora said:

Our local newspaper (Wells Journal) had no photos either, but they did list names of those serving in the first few months of the war every week. The paper stopped this when the size of the newspaper went down from 8 pages to 4 pages (from memory - can't remember just when) and so had very little room.

My local paper (Newbury Weekly News) also printed lists of lads serving but stopped soon after conscription was introduced - it seems that the lists were recruitment aids - shaming those who weren't serving, encouraging competition from villages (they printed both the names and the village population so comparisons could be made).