Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RAMC on Gibraltar...................

Laird of Camster

Ladies/Gents,

Has anyone got an interest in the RAMC units deployed on Gibraltar? 

There appear to be 9 guys buried on Gibraltar from the RAMC. Most of which came from the 28th Company.

There is also one from the 30th and another from 2nd/1st East Anglian Field Amb (I assume the latter are units just passing through en route to other locations?). 

Judging by the dates, I assume the 28th spent the entire war on `The Rock`, would they be entitled to a BWM? 

Gib 3.jpg

Mate,

I have many AIF soldiers sent to Gibraltar on there way to the UK. There stay was short but all seam to show only what they call General Hosp Gibraltar;

GALVIN Alfred John 306 Dvr 12 LHR B Sqn att DSqn/7 LHR 8-15 evac to (GH) hosp Gibraltar (pyrexia) 10-15 to (2 southern GH) hosp Southmead Bristol UK (influ) 11-15 (G) rtn B Sqn 3-16 to Dvr B Sqn 4-16 revert Pte 6-16 to Dvr RHQ (from clarke) 1-17 att Imperial MD DAC 4-17 rtn B Sqn 7-17 (B)

BARNETT Charles Frederick  Lt 03 LHR 4R Tos 5-15 tos A Sqn ? Troop 8-15 evac to All Saints hosp Malta 9-15 to Gen hosp Gibraltar (enteric) 10-15 to (3 London GH) hosp Wandsworth UK 10-15 (G) to Anzac BD Weymouth UK 2-16 rtn ? Sqn ? Troop 7-16 shown C Sqn ? Troop 9-16 to 1 LHTR 4-17 T/att school of Instruction (25th officers general course) Zeitoun 4-17 to ATC&DC 6-17 shown orderly officer Anzac HQ TC&DC 8-17 and orderly officer Anzac HQ TC&DC 3-19 (Prov 2/Lt A Troop BSqn/22 LH 9-12-12 CMF 2 years)

S.B

The History of the Great War Medical Services, General History, Volume 1 pages 249-251 deals with Gibraltar.  Wounded and sick arrived their from Gallipoli including Australians and the number of hospital beds expanded during the campaign. In January 1916 the bed numbers were reduced. Influenza hit Gib in June 1918 and continued until December.

The maximum number of Medical Officers, RAMC at any one time were 22 and 180 RAMC other ranks and 55 Nurses.

Pete

• Admin
19 hours ago, Laird of Camster said:

Judging by the dates, I assume the 28th spent the entire war on `The Rock`, would they be entitled to a BWM? 

Taken at random from your list Frederick Lester 4821 mic free download on Ancestry

shows his entitlement to the BWM.  

You may also note casualties around that date on the CWGC are all from units stationed on the Rock, e.g. 9 Coy RGA which suggests the influenza pandemic as above.

Ken

1 hour ago, kenf48 said:

Taken at random from your list Frederick Lester 4821 mic free download on Ancestry

shows his entitlement to the BWM.  

You may also note casualties around that date on the CWGC are all from units stationed on the Rock, e.g. 9 Coy RGA which suggests the influenza pandemic as above.

Ken

Thanks Ken that is very interesting!!! I will continue my search for an example to add to my collection.