Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

sunken lane ..sunken road

chaz

getting confused here .

on the way back from our last visit Im sure we passed a sign for Sunken Lane Cemetery. done a CWGC search but not listed, only Sunken Road.

re searching I see there are 5 possible Sunken Road cemeteries.

we do a fair bit of travelling, taking headstone pics for people, we start with our list, then time allowing we use the POI on the sat nav to take us elsewhere so not impossible to get lost. just wondering why I seem to recall a Sunken Lane??

or am I just going daft :wacko:

last time, Ovillers, Bagneaux, Beauval, Gezaincourt, Puchevilliers , Bucquoy Road so somewhere in the region.

Are you thinking of Beaumont Hamel cemetery which is next to the Sunken Lane of 1st LF fame?

Gareth

don't think so, I would have said it was further up than Beaumont, there is a lane on the side of the road 'sunken' lower than the banks either side with a tree beside as far as I can remember. possibly up towards Achiet.

no doubt we will pass it again

• Admin

Sunken Road cemeteries listed at Fampoux, Boisleux St Marc, Contalmaison,Villers Plouich in the Silent Cities. The one at Villers Plouich is in a real sunken lane, a very pretty small cemetery.   

http://www.cwgc.org/find-a-cemetery/cemetery/32709/SUNKEN ROAD CEMETERY, VILLERS-PLOUICH

Michelle 

just checked the 5 Sunken Roads on Google maps street view, none look like the one we passed Michelle's has too big a parking pull in and the one we passed is hidden from the road.

• Admin

Maybe the Contalmaison one? 2nd Canadian Cemetery, Sunken Lane. It's off the road down a track  

Michelle 

• Admin

The other "Lane" ones which spring to mind  are Houdain  Lane, and AIF Burial Ground, Grass Lane 

• 2 weeks later...

Probably the boisleux sunken road, easily missed and not much visited. On a bend past an old railway embankment that was a strong point on the German line. Worth walking the area. You rise up through the cutting to reach the cemetery. I live in Rivière nearby.

Know the region well. You may have taken that road heading buquoy towards Arras and motorway.

Always happy to guide the area btw.