Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

UBO 2nd/Lt 4th Royal Irish Dragoons

thetrenchrat22

In Plot 45, Row B, Grave 17 

is an unknown 2nd/Lt of the 4th Royal Irish Dragoons which was found at 20 S.E. V. 25. a. 1. 8.  

There are only 3 2nd Lieut were killed during the Great War and two of them have a known graves.  So is the grave of the 3rd 2nd Lieut.

at the time of the 3rd 2nd Lieut death, the battalion were at Messines which is covered by trench maps on Sheet 28 SW & SE. O 32 & 33 and U 2 & 3. 

The unknown was found at Sheet 20 SE V. 25. a. 1. 8. which is South West of Poelcapelle 

So is the 3rd 2nd Lieutenant and why the difference of the place he was killed and the place his body was found

Pedantically it is 4th Royal Irish Dragoon Guards, and should be referred to as a 'regiment', not a 'battalion'.

Hi Alan

A couple years ago I researched this grave.

The only conclusion which I could draw based upon the available evidence was that it was a case of misidentification.

The position suggests an officer from a cavalry patrol soon after the British arrived in Ypres in mid October 1914.

Alternatively the grave could relate to the fighting in this area after September 1917.

Mick

Mick 

thank you for your reply.  

I had a look at the possible person who it could but a website states that his CO stated that he was buried in a cottage garden at Messines. 

That why I posted the post