Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Warwickshire Regiment 1st-3rd B'Ham Btns

7t2ndswinger

All,

Here are the badges of the above Btns with a style of badge I've never seen before and would value an opinion as to the authenticity. In the past I've only ever seen examples where the bottom two scrolls come as one piece and is tag braized onto a regulars w/m antelope (?). From my experience the of those badges the 1st appears to be a different manufacturer than the 2nd & 3rd as the lettering is different and has an unbranded slider whereas the other two are made by Gaunt.

However as you can see from the pictures below the upper scroll is an overlay whereas only the bottom scroll is tagged. All have good strong sliders. My reason for questioning them is they were all bought at the same time and are pretty much identical in construction and degree of wear and do not have sweat holes behind the upper scroll which is smooth backed. My reason for believing they may be genuine is their weight, build quality and strong sliders.

Thank you,

Keith

Here's the fronts....................................

On original City battalion cap badges hair can be seen on the antelopes and also a diamond shape in the coronet around the antelopes neck.

These could be standard Royal Warwicks cap badges that have been "doctored."

Regards

Terry

Hi Terry,

Thanks for the info on the finer details which I'll check out, problem is I don't know of any reference books which may show these. I don't have K & K. Certainly adding a scroll to a regulars' badge would be the easiest way of forging but in the case of this badge the Royal Warwickshire scroll returns rather than extends and is much shorter. The w/m underscroll is integral with the antelope and not tagged on. Someone would have to go to a lot of trouble to doctor the regulars badge.

Regards,

Keith

I don't like the look of these.

I've seen many copies of these badges, and would suggest it would take a few years of hunting to manage three genuine ones.

How much did you pay, Keith? If it wasn't a lot, then you've got a nice representation of three battalions' badges. If it was a serious amount of cash, then you may be lucky.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you!

Graeme

Hi Graham,

Let's just say I didn't pay bundles!! The shop in question had a real mixture of restrikes and genuine all priced pretty much the same. For example a KDG 1915-35 Firmin branded for £10. Of course buying all three together does cause the alarm bells to ring but he also had a Wandworth Pals, IIth Border Regt, 25th Royal Fusiliers 'Frontiersmen', Middlesex Public Works Pioneers, (the latter two I also bought), Royal Fusileers Jewish Btns, Livepool Pals and had sold a Tyneside Irish with loops not a slider.....you can see a pattern here, almost a complete collection of Kitcheners Army if you look at Gaylor page 192. Could be someone sold a collection. All I can really say about these three is they're a damn sight better made than the usual ones you see around and about twice as heavy too.

Cheers

Keith

Keith

Any chance of posting a photo of the 25th Royal Fusiliers (Frontiersmen) Badge?

Steve

Hello Steve,

Here's the Frontiersmen as requested. I see by your picture you have one which I'd love to see close up if possible. I'm in the dark here, it's the first one I've seen and bought it as a gap filler but liked the look of the slider as it's long and strong. Any opinions are very welcome.

Regards,

Keith

Keith

Thanks for posting the photos, very interesting! Unfortunately the badge in my avatar isn't mine, I found an image whilst googling so thought I'd use it.

I'm afraid I've never seen a genuine 25th RF (Frontiersmen) badge so cannot comment on it's authenticity but I would like to know if anybody has any other comments with respect to yours.

Steve