Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

10th battalion Royal west Kents in Italy

RGJDEE

Good evening ,

I am researching my Grandfather, who served in Italy 1917/1918,C company any information would be greatly appreciated.

Private Richard George James Dee.

• 3 months later...

I see that they were 41st Division troops, deployed to The Montello in Dec 1917, taking over the line again in early February 1918,  returning to France a few weeks later. Did he survive?

Edited by eddison

• 1 month later...

Thanks for your post. In answer to your question yes he did survive,he was extremely lucky,soon after returning from Italy he was ill with "trench fever", hospitalised and missed the action at Beauricort? which decimated his battlion,he was later promoted to corporal and de mobbed in Feb 19.

on his return he married his sweetheart "mimi"and they had two sons.Both served in WW2( RAF).sadly he died young (1943)and I never had the honour of knowing him.

Both his sons are sadly no longer with us either and as so often happens the well of family knowledge is dry.!

I do have his full army service history and my brother has his Buffs cap badge if only there was more..............

regards Richard.

Richard (welcome to the Forum if you have not been welcomed already)

The Buffs are East, not West Kents. His service record, available on Ancestry, says he joined the 4th Buffs initially as a Derby man on 15 December 1915 and was called up on 23 March 1916. He joined the BEF in September 1917, having been transferred to the 10th RWKs (you probably know this already). John Dillon published "Allies are a Tiresome Lot": The British Army in Italy in the First World War in 2015, but there is very little on the 41st Division.

Mike

Edited by Perth Digger
Correction.

Hi thanks for your post, my grandfather was indeed in the 2/4 Buffs initially, could you please explain the term "Derby man", as I am not familiar with it.

I have his service records and Battalion war diaries for his active service in France and Belgium. guess will have to wait until the War diaries from the Italian campaign become available

to find out more.

best wishes Richard.

• Admin
17 minutes ago, RGJDEE said:

Hi thanks for your post, my grandfather was indeed in the 2/4 Buffs initially, could you please explain the term "Derby man", as I am not familiar with it.

Always worth looking on the parent site the Long Long Trail if you are researching a soldier

http://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/soldiers/a-soldiers-life-1914-1918/enlisting-into-the-army/the-group-scheme-derby-scheme/

Ken 

thanks for your post

my grandfather did sign up in dec 1915 and didnt enter the army until march 1916. so he was indeed a "Derby", man. Thankyou.