Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Fort George Seaforth Highlanders WWI War Memorial.

mbriscoe

Fort George Seaforth Highlanders WWI War Memorial.

Over main gate.

Estimated position NH 76380 56773

----
1914 - 1919
ERECTED BYTHE SEFORTH HIGHLANDERS
TO THE UNDYING MEMORY OF 8432
COMRADES BELONGING TO THE TEN
BATTALIONS OF THE REGIMENT
WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES FOR THEIR
COUNTRY IN THE GREAT WAR
SCOTLAND FOR EVER
----

ID:    MHG15618
Type of record:    Monument
Name:    Fort George
Grid Reference:    NH 76317 56758
Map Sheet:    NH75NE
Civil Parish:    ARDERSIER
Geographical Area:    INVERNESS
---
Fort George
Artillery Fortification (18th Century), Barracks (Period Unassigned), Barracks (First World War), Hospital (First World War), Prisoner Of War Camp (First World War)(Possible), War Memorial (20th Century)
Site Name Fort George
Classification Artillery Fortification (18th Century), Barracks (Period Unassigned), Barracks (First World War), Hospital (First World War), Prisoner Of War Camp (First World War)(Possible), War Memorial (20th Century)
Alternative Name(s) Ardersier, Campbelltown Fort; Ardescroon Point; Ardersier Point; Seaforth Highlanders War Memorial Plaque
Canmore ID 14317
Site Number NH75NE 3
NGR NH 76079 56674
Datum OSGB36 - NGR
Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/14317
---

1-JMB_17_08_2017_11_14_36_0001849703.JPG

2-JMB_17_08_2017_11_14_36_00018497 - Copy03.JPG

Interesting to see 1919 given as the end of the war - quite rare, in my experience at least.  Acanthus leaves, laurel - all the garlands of victory.

The plaque could do with some TLC from 3 SCOTS though, I think?

You do see 1919 on some but, as you write, it is not common.  I suppose it because it is a plaque erected by the army or at least regimental association.

I had to enhance the lettering to make readable, most people walking past will probably not even notice it.

There are some more in the regimental chapel at Fort George.

Still working through pictures and got visitors arriving so probably won't get the rest up until the end of the week.  There is another Seaforth memorial by the door to the courthouse in Tain (not sure if that is because many of the regiment were 'customers'!), also some memorials inside St Duthus's Collegiate Church in Tain including an interesting one to the Scottish Women's Hospitals in Serbia (I think - it was very dark so won't know properly until I look at the pictures!) as well as the town war memorials.

9 hours ago, brummell said:

Interesting to see 1919 given as the end of the war - quite rare, in my experience at least.

I didn't think it was rare, so having nothing better to do I found photos of 24 town memorials that I had readily to hand.

17 had 1914-19 and only 7 had 1914-18

BillyH.

47 minutes ago, BillyH said:

I didn't think it was rare, so having nothing better to do I found photos of 24 town memorials that I had readily to hand.

17 had 1914-19 and only 7 had 1914-18

BillyH.

I wonder if some of the ones with "1914 - 1919" were erected soon after WWI when people were more aware of the date of the Treaty of Versailles but later that was overlooked and people thought of the Armistice - perhaps after Remembrance Day began to be commemorated.

I would say 1919 was extremely common. It was, after all, the year the war ended. 1918 was merely a sort of truce

• Admin

And don't forget the soldiers didn't go home on the 12th November 1918. There was the partial occupation of Germany, Russia, battlefield clearances, and general demobilisation etc. A quick search of CWGC for 12/11/18 to 12/11/19 shows 54068 casualties from all around the world.

I agree though that the Treaty of Versailles is generally regarded as the end of the war and I find that a memorial showing 1918 rather than 1919 stands out to me. Then again, despite the occupations of Germany and Japan after WW2, all those memorials only mention 1945 so perhaps the 1918 Armistice is not regarded as being as final as the surrender documents signed in 1945 when compared to Versailles.

Well, like I said - rare in my own experience.  I've only seen 1919 on two or three memorials, I would guess.  1918 is cited on the tomb of the Unknown Warrior, no less.

• 4 years later...

The Scottish Military Research Group tells us "5 Plaques were raised within the recruiting area of the Seaforth Highlanders after the Great War. One in Caithness at Wick, one in Sutherland at Dornoch, one in Ross-shire in Tain, one in Moray at Elgin and one in Fort George."

That tally makes sense although I would add there is another.  The Seaforth Highlanders, then the Queen's Own Highlanders (Seaforth and Camerons), then The Highlanders Seaforth, Gordons and Camerons) and now as 4th Battalion Royal Regiment of Scotland have passed on a small brass version of this plaque that is fastened to the wall of the Guardroom wherever they are permanently based.......and it is very highly polished!

Regarding the "1919" on Memorials mentioned above - it's a British thing.  The Versailles Peace Treaty year was often used and not the Armistice year.  It is perhaps also worth noting that there are 6,334,522 personal memorials in the form of British Victory Medals using this date.

BVM.jpg