Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Noel Chavasse VC and Bar MC Centenary Commemoration - Liverpool 29 August

Ian Riley

I can't find any other mention of this and the notice is somewhat short but there are three events in Liverpool on 29 August to commemorate the centenary of the award of the second Victoria Cross to Noel Chavasse and his death on 4 August

• 11 am (in place by 1045 I suggest as the area is quite cramped) Unveiling of 'flagstone' in Abercromby Square (in the precinct of the University of Liverpool off Oxford Street, location of the Liverpool VCs statue that shows Chavasse, a casualty and a Liverpool Scottish stretcher bearer and also opposite his home, the Bishop's Palace). A flagstone was unveiled in Oxford last year. This is being hosted by the Lord Mayor of Liverpool and is essentially public (although there are invited guests - 65 members of the family are making their way to Liverpool). I gather the Liverpool Scottish Regimental Association Pipes and Drums are playing and I think I saw mention of the Welsh choral group. About 40 minutes

• 2 pm (suggest in place by 13:45 unless you want to collide with the civic procession of Lord Lieutenant and the Chavasse Sword etc) A commemorative service at the Church of Our Lady and St Nicholas on the Pier Head (Liverpool Parish Church or St Nick's to everybody) marking the life and service of Noel Chavasse. The Bishop of Liverpool mans the pulpit. This is the exact centenary to the day of the service held by the Liverpool Scottish in 1917 (obviously) to commemorate all the Liverpool Scottish casualties of Pilckem Ridge when the address did make full reference to Chavasse at the battalion's medical officer.

• A 'Last Light' commemoration in Abercromby Square organised by 208 Field Hospital (the Army Reserve unit that lives in Chavasse House in Liverpool). I understand that this is in the form of a 'Last Post' at 21:30 (but I have a feeling that I might have seen 21:00 mentioned - I don't have access to the relevant paperwork at the moment and will confirm)  NOW CONFIRMED AS 21:00, ASSEMBLE 20:45

There were events both in Liverpool(Liverpool Scottish Regimental Association in conjunction with Bill Sargeant whose committee funded the Liverpool VC Winners statue) and in Belgium (quite a big one hosted by the Belgian Army and the Friends of In Flanders Fields ) on Friday 4 August, the centenary of Chavasse's death. 

There are other exhibitions and displays as well as events and performances during September including a substantial exhibition at the Anglican Cathedral. Details as I understand them are here The Noel Chavasse VC medal group is on loan to the Museum of Liverpool (Pier Head) until 5 January from the Ashcroft Collection, normally displayed at the IWM.  

Ian

Edited by Ian Riley
Updated information

12 minutes ago, Ian Riley said:

I gather the Liverpool Scottish Regimental Association Pipes and Drums are playing 

Ian

They were pretty damned good at Railway Wood in 2015 

Sounds like a fitting set of commemorations. Enjoy!

Original Order of Service

OrderOfServiceStNicksLiverpoolScottishChavasse1917_001_Reduced.jpg

Thanks Ian, it's plenty of notice for me. I will certainly try and make at least one of the events.

Pete.

Same here.  I've put poppies on the Abercromby Square memorial several times to commemorate the Charioteers from No 2 Commando from 1942.

Is anything planned at the Liverpool Scots memorial behind St George's Hall?

Mark

On 20/08/2017 at 13:08, MBrockway said:

Same here.  I've put poppies on the Abercromby Square memorial several times to commemorate the Charioteers from No 2 Commando from 1942.

Is anything planned at the Liverpool Scots memorial behind St George's Hall?

Mark

My apologies, Mark. I have only just seen this on getting back from North Wales. 

There is nothing, as far as I know, planned for the stone behind St George's Hall (ie in St John's Gardens). The Liverpool Scottish Regimental Association held a short service of commemoration in conjunction with Bill Sergeant on Friday 4 August (five of us were in Brandhoek on the day)

Ian

Other timings for Tuesday 29 August (the unveiling and dedication of the paving stone and the service at St Nicholas Church on the Pier Head) are unchanged but the Last Light Vigil, I am told is at 21:00, assemble 20:45 in Abercromby Square. This is a short ceremony of about 20/25 minutes and is being co-ordinated by 208 Field Hospital, Army Reserve, whose barracks is Chavasse House in Liverpool

I have amended the original post:

A 'Last Light' commemoration in Abercromby Square organised by 208 Field Hospital (the Army Reserve unit that lives in Chavasse House in Liverpool). I understand that this is in the form of a 'Last Post' at 21:30 (but I have a feeling that I might have seen 21:00 mentioned - I don't have access to the relevant paperwork at the moment and will confirm)  NOW CONFIRMED AS 21:00, ASSEMBLE 20:45

Edited by Ian Riley

The ceremony at 11 was very impressive and moving, thanks for the information Ian. Hope the service and last post ceremony were/will be equally good (it's 8.55 as I type this). The last post this morning was absolutely superb, one of the best I've ever heard.

Pete.

Thanks. It was an excellent turnout. 65 family members (the two surviving Chavasse boys and their one married sister did pretty well - although there was a cohort from his fiancée's side of the family - she was a cousin also named Chavasse together with two very charming distant French cousins with an equipe of the politest children). The Town Hall and the Lod Lieutenant's office worked very hard. The service at St Nick's was excellent although I found my self as a late substitute as a reader (in tandem with another) for an alarmingly complex set of readings. I suspect that there were 250+ in church. I did suggest to  the rector that flowers might be in RAMC colours. So for those inclined to  medicinal flower-arranging the right hand image may be of interest ....

Chavasse Centenary Flowers St Nick's Liverpool.jpg

From St Nick's on the Pier Head,

"They Win or Die Who Wear the Rose of Lancaster" - 55th (West Lancashire) Division

The medal group was the 'official' replica; the real thing is presently on display in the Museum of Liverpool until 5th January 2018. The two splendid silver Liver Birds from the Town Hall (where I think they normally support the Lord Mayor's mace of office) were in place to support Noel Chavasse's sword (just visible in the lower photo). The replica of the swallow-tailed flag of the GOC 55th Division (Sir Hugh Jeudwine) occasionally graces the flagstaff at this poster's residence. Photos courtesy Paul Frost

21167061_10209675812556501_1542031335670642041_o.jpg.67c2cb06f583acdf3e777a93f0fa695b.jpg

21246200_10209675800316195_8024179702291097069_o.jpg.94bb5244f3314194295d053bbc89ab73.jpg

Thank you, Though I was only able to attend the the Church Service, it was moving, humbling (the time and care he took when writing to soldiers loved ones). The Choir was amazing, and a privilege to be there.

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/09/2017 at 22:01, rustyredhead said:

Thank you, Though I was only able to attend the the Church Service, it was moving, humbling (the time and care he took when writing to soldiers loved ones). The Choir was amazing, and a privilege to be there.

Thanks. Much appreciated. I thought the choir although small was brilliant

ian

Once again I am about to do thanking.    Yesterday my son and I went to the Cathedral, where the display commemorating Noel Chavasse is being held. (it seemed fitting, that 100years later he was there, now this towering sanctuary is completed).   There were a number of tours being conducted and the Book of Leaves was open at Noel Chavasse page, yet still, Canon Jackson, and the stewards very kindly took the time to help me for the second reason I was there,  They turned the Leaves, to Alexander Morton MM of the 1/8th Liverpool Irish, who thanks to yourself and members on this site, especially Wulsten, we've found.  His is remembered on the walls of Tyne Cot, the Town Hall, and the Book of Leaves,

100 years ago tomorrow is the anniversary of his death, 20th September 1917, and I appreciate the kindness and help from all.

I am still very unsure of posting, but I have a couple of photos of the exhibition, (again I'm unsure of, as the beautiful glass kept reflecting), , which I have attached if that is allowed

Again Thanks to all,

Rusty

59c16c0341d63_CathedralLiverpoolKings2.jpg.94f1aa7b7d7173347f4c5a26c644c03f.jpg

59c16c03c686d_CathedralLiverpoolKings2.thumb.jpg.cec666d8ad77ff42943e1007a2118890.jpg

59c16c502d1b9_CathedralLiverpoolKings3.jpg.b3de322317d8bb51be16834e73150872.jpg

59c193b418b1f_CathedralLiverpoolKings6.jpg.af347a4b71900f529ccb1896353fa586.jpg

On 20/09/2017 at 05:21, rustyredhead said:

The Book of Leaves was open at Noel Chavasse page, yet still, Canon Jackson, and the stewards very kindly took the time to help me for the second reason I was there,  They turned the Leaves, to Alexander Morton MM of the 1/8th Liverpool Irish, who thanks to yourself and members on this site, especially Wulsten, we've found.  His is remembered on the walls of Tyne Cot, the Town Hall, and the Book of Leaves,

Thanks for the photos. I have never noticed the detail of the soldier on the finials at the corners of the case holding the Book of Leaves.

I will be flying the banner of the 55th (West Lancashire) Division tomorrow and for a few days to remember those who died in the Battle of the Menin Road Ridge, including Alexander Morton MM

WP_20170610_12_29_15_Pro.jpg.44eb5791b7d3e814cbf988eb7a53a6a6.jpg

Ian

I am very grateful to you for that act of remembrance.    It was actually Canon Val (who said she knew you, ergo Friends in high places) who suggested, as I'm dodgy footed, to hold onto the Angel, this proved really emotional to me when I saw how  the wings embraced the soldier at ease,  I confess I have always felt unable to help others on this site, as I know little.  My Grandfather in the Liverpool Scottish survived, and I have a wonderful photo of him in his kilt to remember him by., so as I began researching I immediately realised  that as the mother of 4 sons, 100 years ago, they would all  have been either conscripted, enlisted or fought on one of these heartbreaking Battlefields, so I picture events   "From the old folks at home"  view,  (and thanks to you I've now know Noel Chavasse is on the Roll of Honour at Liverpool Football Club)  therefore that finial summed up what I didn't have words for , A hug for all those Sons

Not a good photographer (even with technology) but because of the above I tried a close up

Many Thanks

Rusty

59c193b418b1f_CathedralLiverpoolKings6.jpg.af347a4b71900f529ccb1896353fa586.jpg