Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Online: Camel Corps Training. Provisional. 1913 [Manual]

MaureenE

Thanks Maureene.

Thank you Maureene - Great stuff!

Unfortunately, I'm unable to download it. Each attempt ends up with this statement: Error retrieving pdf

Hope to succeed a bit later. in the meanwhile, I’m viewing online. Fascinating!

Eran 

Mate,

Yes I am having trouble down loading also?

But the first page (drawing) looks great.

The British taught the new ICC soldier to mount as shown by placing the left foot on the (leather) apron on the camels neck (as the drawing shows).

This didn't always work as not all camels liked this method, while other soldiers just got onto the saddle. (or as the aussie records mention.)

The camel in this position is called "Barracked" and the ICC news letter was named after this.

Cheers

S.B

I have not attempted to download the file, only to read it online.

However if you continue to have problems, I suggest you contact the British Library. There is a "Feedback" button, next to the Download button, at the bottom of the webpage.

Edit, the download situation may be worse at night (UK time) or possibility on the weekends, due to maintenance. Also if you normally use Safari, try another browser, as I have found the British Library catalogue etc does not  seem to "like" Safari

The following is from https://archive.org/stream/cameliers00hogurich#page/278/mode/2up The Cameliers by Oliver Hogue (Trooper Bluegum)

Cheers

Maureen

5998f07eb3100_ScreenShot2017-08-20at12_12_46pm.png.0ced556a710397d8cd05f57029009794.png

Screen Shot 2017-08-20 at 11.51.40 am.png

Screen Shot 2017-08-20 at 11.52.20 am.png

Edited by Maureene

Maureene

Absolutely brilliant. Cant download either but wading through on line.

Thank you.

Dave

Thanks for sharing this Maureene - fantastic!

cheers

Stuart

• 1 year later...

For those interested in Camel Corps.

From The Serving Soldier website, King’s College London

'Camel Corps Regulations and Standing Orders' Sudan Camel Corps. September 1928. 

In two parts, webpages titled  "Camels In East Africa, 1928 (Part 1)" "Camels In East Africa, 1928 (Part 2)"

http://www.kingscollections.org/servingsoldier/collection/camels-in-east-africa-1928-part-1

http://www.kingscollections.org/servingsoldier/collection/camels-in-east-africa-1928-part-2

Cheers

Maureen

The first time the camels heard the bagpipes they stampeded.  Highland regiments and camels did not get on.

The names of T E Lawrence's camels....

1.   Ghazala.   Sold to Lawrence by Nasri.  It gave Lawrence much prestige amongst the arabs.

2.   Wodkeila

3.   Baha.   Baha had been shot in the throat and the noise it made gave it this name.

4.   Naaaa.   Shot at Aba-al-Nissan.

5.   Obeyd.   Spare camel.

6.   Rima. 

• 1 month later...

Please note that the British Library has now corrected the error that was preventing successful download of this document and so Maureene's link will now take you to a copy you can download.

Pete