Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Unissued Polish Victory Medal WW I

Guest Gilda

There were two unissued Polish Victory Medals offered on E-Bay. Laso does not have a reference. Does anyone have any information about this medal?

Thanks.

Martin

Hi Martin,

In regards to the Polish Victory Medals allow me to quote myself from a prior post regarding these back in March.

"As far as the Polish Victory Medals go I would avoid them. The story is they were contracted out to the Czechoslovak mint since the Polish troops who served with Haller were politically on the outs with Pilsudski so the medal would not be produced domestically. They are not mentioned by Laslo, Dr. Wesolowski 's Polish Orders Medals Badges & Insignia nor Wojciech Stela's Polish Honor and Commemorative badges ( Stela actually refers to it as a fantasy or fictitious medal)

These were "never issued" to cover the fact they don't appear in any photos or attributable groupings. Now Poland and Czecholslovakia didn't exactly enjoy warm relations between the wars due to disputes over Silesia and the Czech refusal to allow allied arms shipments to pass through their territory during the Polish-Soviet War so it's unlikely anyone was contracting with the Czecholslovak government to strike medals.

Now the box found was apparently large enough to produce three different varieties and enough to move 2 or 3 a month on e-bay and the 8 or so I've seen at shows in the last 4 weeks here in New Jersey."

Also keep in mind the historian who attributed these is closely related to the finder of these items. These strikes now appearing on e-bay have a much brighter and fuzzier appearance than those around a few years ago.

Take care,

Neil

I had a hunch!!!!!

Thanks for the an excellent and complete analysis.

Best,

Martin

P.S. of course I was dumb enough to be high bidder on one medal. Live and Learn.

Its a curiosity,perhaps.

Hi Martin,

Don't despair, I doubt you were the only bidder. People do buy them so there is a degree of demand, I've never seen one at auction not sell.

Take care,

Neil

Gentlemen:

Thanks for your responses.

In the description for this medal an M.B. Kozlowskki is quoted as the "collector and historian"

who verifies the history of the unissued Victory Medal.

I checked him out on Google and he does exist and has assembled an elaborate Photo Display of Victory Medals on an Australian Forum. diggerhistory.proboard19.com . I am waiting for a password so I can enter some of the data contained that refers to Kozolowski's "extensive article

on the Polish Victory Medal". I know this may not be news to you but I'm having a good time. It gives me an opportunity to put on my professor suit again.

I will keep you posted-if you know the story don't let me go on....

Martin

Hi Martin,

Kozlowski actually wrote a very good pamphlet on Polish Silesian Uprising Decorations which I've found very helpful. I'm just not on board in regards to this particular item.

Take care,

Neil

As far as I can tell the medal is considered at best to be a Veteran's medal. It is shown as such in two Polish ribbon pages. Even Kozlowski allows for that possibility in the quote on the Australian site.

I am sanguine about its purchase.

Thank you all for your help.

Martin

Hi Jeff,

I beleive it is Polish Decorations of the Silesian Uprisings 1919-21 and is published by Militaria House Toronto Canada. I will confirm the title when I get home. It has pen and ink drawings of most decorations (some good/some fair) but some of the text provides additional information on the Polish insurgent units not found in Wesolowski nor Stela.

If I recall it's pretty cheap too! ($10)

By the way welcome to the forum from a fellow OMSA member!

Take care,

Neil