Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lieutenant Thomas Mashiter, 1/5th Lancashire Fusiliers.

Mark Hone

Has anyone come across details of this officer, from Surrey, who was killed by the same shell which claimed Bury Grammar School and St Bees old boy Captain Austin Hudson on the night of 31st August/1st September 1917? He was on attachment from the York and Lancaster Regiment. He, Hudson and two soldiers also killed by the shell are commemorated on the Tyne Cot Memorial. Three other men are buried together in Ypres Town Cemetery Extension. 

Thomas Alexander Greenwood Mashiter. Previous number 607, 23/ London Regiment Sgt.

commissioned 22/3/15 on MIC First to France on 14/3/15. That seems a bit odd. comm'd a few days after government no.

address on MIC is for mother at 68 Rosendale, West Dulwich.

various records say 10Y&L at LF.

BW & VM Roll has his rank as Lt. 

1914/5 Star is with Londons. Repeats Comm  date. says "Com. New Army"

Effects records a bit odd. Does not say who War Gratuity etc went to.

Probate record give some his address as 14 Manor St, Clapham. Probate to his mother Laura Ellen wife of Thomas Edward.

born 5/8/1891, Norwood Surrey. Baptised in Croydon 2 months later.

1901 with family in Brixton. 

1911 with family at Clapham address. Described as a "Hall Marker" at Goldsmith Hall, London. Assume that mean he hallmarked silver/gold item etc.

TNA http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C1080817

LG https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/29118/page/3254/data.pdf

LG attachment entry https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/30292/supplement/9714/data.pdf

Horridge's account of the incident which I think you have

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=jTu4DAAAQBAJ&pg=PA53-IA3&lpg=PA53-IA3&dq=T+A+G+mashiter&source=bl&ots=cEoecRDqC3&sig=dIT62GUG0Og0y7BZQ3mG2rVS_-w&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiLr777-uDVAhWDh7QKHd-GAJEQ6AEIVzAN#v=onepage&q=T A G mashiter&f=false

nothing yet to give a fuller history of Mashiter 

Edited by Mark1959

FMP says officer file covers period 1909 onwards. His 23 Londons number indicates enlistment in 1909. T.F.

FWR has an entry in embarkation list for a T A G Mashitter. Embarked 11/1/16 from Devonport on the Briton for the MEF. 2nd Lt with 11 Y&L. Notes: went First Class. Same man?

NB there are 2 Thomas Mashiter; Lts in the Y&L. Be careful to distinguish

Edited by Mark1959

Thanks for this, Mark. Horridge's account is reproduced in the latest issue of 'BBC History' magazine but Mashiter's name is garbled.

• 6 years later...

Thomas A Mashiter was my great uncle on my paternal grandfather's side of my family

That's very interesting. Do you have any further details about him, perhaps a photograph? 

Thanks for this. I'd be interested in any information you have. 

On 29/03/2024 at 14:43, becks26 said:

Thomas A Mashiter was my great uncle on my paternal grandfather's side of my family

My grandfather, Captain Norman Hall, was with the 1/5th Lancashire Fusiliers in France and Belgium from June 1917 to the end of July 1918. He describes the incident in which Lieutenant Mashiter was killed in his memoir, though I don't think that he was an eye-witness. He says that it was a bad day for the 1/5th LF, as not only were several men killed and wounded in the incident in which Lieutenant Mashiter lost his life, but when the ration limbers were returning under the supervision of the Quartermaster, Lieutenant Clem Whittaker, they were shelled on the Menin Road, and Lieutenant Whittaker was seriously wounded in the leg, and later lost the leg. As a result my grandfather became acting Quartermaster for a while.

On 30/03/2024 at 15:36, Mark Hone said:

Thanks for this. I'd be interested in any information you have. 

Unfortunately haven't got any photos that I know would be him and noone alive to confirm it anymore

Oh, well, thanks for looking. There was probably a photograph of him with an obituary in a local newspaper, although whether this happened did vary from place to place.