Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Finding Battlefield relics near Ypres

J Burke

Hello,

Im visiting the Ypres area at the beginning of September 2017, staying in Dranouter Heuvelland. I would really like to come home with a battlefield relic I have found myself. Has anyone got any suggestions of a specific area  that might be a good place to look? I havent been before.

Thanks

Yes, one of the shops in Ypres. 

J Burke

all joking aside, there are still many 'LIVE' munitions on the ground. unless you are sure you know what you are looking at its best to get from another source. I notice on a recent visit a large pile of ploughed up rusty shell cases have been removed from a layby near a local cemetery. on a visit last year we were nearly driven off the road by a 4X4 coming the opposite way, only to find a complete shell with timer 12" or less from our car wheel.

we were walking to another cemetery through fields and on looking down a couple of shrapnel balls were seen.

otherwise , there are many pieces of cast iron laying around, but what they are??   no connection with these but a safer bet.

https://relicsfromthefront.co.uk/t/world-war-1-militaria

https://rustywarrelics.co.uk/t/ww1-relics

although from July 2013, it still applies

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/history/britain-at-war/10172232/Lethal-relics-from-WW1-are-still-emerging.html

Edited by chaz

I find these's days, their harder to come across, I'm with chaz, the ones I found where usually near grass paths leading up to cemeteries, even had a timing fuse given to me at Tyne Cot by workmen doing the drainage in 2002-3.

Gerwyn

I may be a mile out with this comment, but since the increase in terror attacks across Europe, they do seem to collect road side munitions more frequently.

As I say, I could be wrong. A scene like this is becoming less.

018 - Copy.JPG

It does not seem to have trickled down to the Somme; one of the better (worse?) years for roadside ordnance. It might have something to do with the decision to do away (so I have heard) the local disposal squad and transfer responsibility some distance away (one source suggested that it had been privatised). i do know that there are private companies that provide 'demineur' (sp??) services.

I have been to Ypres four times over the past 8 years and always go off the beaten path for hikes. I noticed the number of unexposed ordinance has been greatly reduced in some of the off areas this year. I assumed they made an effort for the influx of tourists for the 100th year anniversary.

thing is, once you have ploughed it up, it is no longer there. what has been found and collected is gone. until farmers plough deeper the next layer will stay hidden.

OR, until the next... road, housing estate, industrial estate etc gets developed that will be hidden, but taking that there is little money in the area for development, it could be a way off.

the one above is /was less than 50mtrs from this. this was in a layby alongside chippings for road resurfacing. been there at least two years, last visit beginning of July the whole pile has gone. either OED picked up, as one were as complete as above one could have been picked up for scrap OR could have been taken by an ebay seller, I guess the latter option myself.  

shell dump gomm.JPG

On 23 August 2017 at 04:31, Vimyboy said:

I have been to Ypres four times over the past 8 years and always go off the beaten path for hikes. I noticed the number of unexposed ordinance has been greatly reduced in some of the off areas this year. I assumed they made an effort for the influx of tourists for the 100th year anniversary.

It's the exposed ordinances that you want to be careful of. And unexploded ordnance.  

1 hour ago, chaz said:

I nearly drove over this

117.jpg

If I'm not mistaken, this is a gas shell. So better not touch it at all.

Here's another one (from the Somme), taken a few days ago.  A couple of days after the photo was taken it was on its side, minus its driving band.  There were also 3 other unexploded shells at the side of the road less than a mile away!  So there is still plenty of it around - and not all of it is small stuff!

.DSC04906.thumb.JPG.eb39a894c782f0f39cec9de21499896a.JPG

On 18/08/2017 at 21:17, 17107BM said:

I may be a mile out with this comment, but since the increase in terror attacks across Europe, they do seem to collect road side munitions more frequently.

As I say, I could be wrong. A scene like this is becoming less.

018 - Copy.JPG

I don't know why they would collect them more frequently. These things can easily go up at any moment. Good way of dealing with terrorists!

If you want to collect bullets, shrapnel balls, pieces, etc, it is best to when the fields have just been turned over - usually spring. Wait for a rain. It removes a little mud off the pieces making them easier to find. Stay away from the usual places - memorials, cemeteries - they have been picked over. Be respectful of private property. It is better to ask permission. 

Remember that a lot of the bullets you find will still be live and customs etc do not like thsat so suggest you just take an empty case and a bullet head with you!

Tony

these from today, we were in the same place start of July and they had all been removed. today nearly 20 items. I couldn't say if all from the same field or a collection point for all local fields

DSC_0447.JPG.85d4dd01bd0b2ea0643be75da30427f6.JPG