Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1/CAN.DIV.A.C TRIO&PLAQUE,

ANDREW JUKES

Hi, all.

i recentley aquired a 1914-15 star trio&plaque direct from the late recipients grandson (no interest what a shame) on his pair he is described as,

85576.GNR.W.ALLEN.C.F.A, this is of course the canadian field art.however his 1914-15 star is a little more imformative as that states,85576.DVR.W.ALLEN.1/CAN

DIV.A.C, i take this to stand for 1st canadian divisional ammo col.? however what i want to know is how scarce is this type of detail on c.e.f trios, the ones i have had in the past have simply said.c.f.a. i think?.

just in case its of any help he was k.i.a F&F 22-10-1917. a native of edmonton london? or canada?.

cheers

andrew

Hello Andrew, In my opinion the naming on the 14-15 star is not all that common. The DAC's had a war establishment of approximately 820 plus or minus. As a supporting unit, the casualty rate would have been less than a front line unit, making a casualty somewhat scarce. His attestation papers indicate that his original unit was the 17 Overseas Battery 6th Brigade CFA. At some point he must have been transferred to the 1st Division Ammunition Column. Allen's attestation paper is here.

Andrew,

You'll find them all lurking at Canadian Expeditionary Force Study Group ;)

Terry is your man.

Hi Andrew,

Regarding your trio, the naming is accurate. I have trios named to both 1/CAN:DIV:A.C. and 2/CAN:DIV:A.C. In both cases the war and victory medals are simply named C.F.A. My other artillery trios are either named on the star CAN:FD:ART: or R.CAN:H.ART:. Oddly I have one CAN:FD:ART: trio where the war and victory are named to the C.G.A.

There is an amazing variety of odd and unusual naming to be found on CEF stars, making some of them quite rare. Brigade HQ, for example, or two personal favourites from my own collection. The first is a trio to a private whose pair are named to his unit, the 15-CAN.INF. However his star is named to GHQ CAN:SEC:; this was a group of ninety all ranks attached to GHQ of the BEF.

Another trio has the star named to CAN:ARMY C.H.Q. and the pair to 1-CAN.DIV.H.Q. The fellow was a cook at headquarters throughout the war!