Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Northern Cyclists Battalion

Hett65

Are there any members who have researched the Northern Cyclists Battalion, I am trying to find details of Fred Dawson who enlisted at Sunderland in April 1915.  He was promoted to the rank of sergeant with the NCB before being transferred to the 1/5 West Yorkshire Regiment, and was KIA 28.9.1916 with that regiment.   I have checked on the internet and I am unable to work out which Battalion he may have joined as the 1/1 NCB on mobilization moved to Morpeth in August 1914 & Alnwick in 1916 where it remained as part of the Tyne Garrison.  2/1 NCB was formed late 1914, and 3/1 NCB formed 1915 as a depot/training unit but was disbanded in March 1915 and men posted to 1/1/ & 2/1 NCB and some to MGC.  Can anyone assist me with this research?

Thanks

John

1 hour ago, Hett65 said:

Are there any members who have researched the Northern Cyclists Battalion, I am trying to find details of Fred Dawson who enlisted at Sunderland in April 1915.  He was promoted to the rank of sergeant with the NCB before being transferred to the 1/5 West Yorkshire Regiment, and was KIA 28.9.1916 with that regiment.   I have checked on the internet and I am unable to work out which Battalion he may have joined as the 1/1 NCB on mobilization moved to Morpeth in August 1914 & Alnwick in 1916 where it remained as part of the Tyne Garrison.  2/1 NCB was formed late 1914, and 3/1 NCB formed 1915 as a depot/training unit but was disbanded in March 1915 and men posted to 1/1/ & 2/1 NCB and some to MGC.  Can anyone assist me with this research?

Thanks

John

What was his service number John ?

Craig

John

I see you are from the Land of the Prince Bishops so will be within reasonable distance of Newcastle Library. I undertook some research a while ago on a Tyneside Scot who was posted to the TS from the NCB as part of the regeneration of the TS Brigade following the first day of the Somme.

I seemed to recollect that Newcastle City Library held Regimental Journals from the Northern Cyclists.

He does not appear to be listed on the Northern Cyclists Memorial

http://www.newmp.org.uk/detail.php?contentId=10276#listlink

Ian

5 minutes ago, ianjonesncl said:

John

I see you are from the Land of the Prince Bishops so will be within reasonable distance of Newcastle Library. I undertook some research a while ago on a Tyneside Scot who was posted to the TS from the NCB as part of the regeneration of the TS Brigade following the first day of the Somme.

I seemed to recollect that Newcastle City Library held Regimental Journals from the Northern Cyclists.

He does not appear to be listed on the Northern Cyclists Memorial

http://www.newmp.org.uk/detail.php?contentId=10276#listlink

Ian

Interesting - I didn't know they had them. Was it the Central Library or the Tyne & Wear archive who held them ?

Craig

Craig, Fred Dawson served with NCB before being transferred to the West Yorkshire Regiment 1/5th Bn (Prince of Wales Own) and served as L/Cpl 5584, he was KIA 28.9.1916 while serving with that regiment.

Ian, He was killed with the WYR, not the NCB.  I did not know that the regimental journals of the NCB were at Newcastle library, I will check this out next week.

John

Ian

Thanks for the information, I will eventually get to the library, however looking after grandchildren this week.

John