Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Learned Gentlemen and Ladies 

Iam researching my grandfather Richard G J Dee, I am especially interested in his overseas service, he landed in france with his regiment the "Buffs",sept 1917,thence transferred to the west kents 10th battalion ,hospitalised /convalesing10/3/18 to 3/5/18.he is recorded as being in c company at that time. I have the regimental war diaries for france/Belgium.

are there any more records ? he survived and was de mobbed with the rank of corporal and i understand he was a sniper.

thanks R.

Can you confirm he is Richard George James Dee. RWK number G21168?

If so, you have picked up the records on findmypast?

FWR shows diagnosis for hospital admission Pyrexia of unknown origin. Notes say Previously diagnosed as 'Myalgia'. So basically he had a fever. Notes state 3rd Canadian Stationary Hospital

Edited by Mark1959

yes that s correct 

have those records and service record,the fever had him away from his unit 6/7 weeks unsure where he was during that time ?

The service record gives him firstly (21.3.1918) at 139 Field Ambulance (within the structure of his Brigade/Division), then to 18 General Hospital at Camiers (28.3),then to No 6 Convalescent Depot at Etaples (15.4),then No 5 Conv. Depot at Cayeux (21.4), and on return to fitness posted to Infantry Base Depot at Etaples on 3.5.1918.

Edited by sotonmate

Thankyou very much for replying I was having difficulty with the writing/abreviations on the service record.

can i further impose on your knowledge ? it appears that when he was transferred to the RWK his Army number was changed ? was this usual ? also on another document  statement of the services of 4614 ?.

on arrival in france it appears he relinquishes his stripe and reverts to Pte. again unusual ?or not ?

look forward to hearing from you.

R.

Lance Corporal is an appointment in WW1 rather than a rank. It was paid but was not a substantive rank. So on going overseas he went back to his actual rank 

Numbers in WW1 were regimental numbers rather than army ones. So if one changed regiment you would get a new number. This often helps GWF contributors to work out when a transfer took place

Many thanks.