Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Helmet from The Black Cat Squadron?

Guest Gary Davidson

Guest Gary Davidson

Hello Great War Forum --

I would like to introduce myself to this group. My name is Gary Davidson and my interest lies in collecting WW1 aeronautica.

I have obtained a FLYING HELMET and I am hopeful someone can assist me in identifying the squadron for it. In addition to the helmet I have several original documents that name RFC pilot, Lieutenant WILLIAM EDWARD WOOD.

What I find most intriguing about the helmet is the BLACK CAT MASCOT sewn onto the crown. Was this a squadron symbol? Or, perhaps, something personal to the wearer?

There was a BLACK CAT SQUADRON (207 Squadron) a night-bombing unit in existence around the time of the pilot’s documentation. Could this hemet be from that squadron?

Gary

ADDITIONAL INFO: Lt. Wood graduated from Central Flying School (Upavon, Wiltshire) August 22, 1917. He was appointed the rank of Lieutenant November 1, 1918.

post-23-1103590277.jpg

You need to speak to the fly boys on their own board HERE. One of the regulars will surely be able to help. This board seems to focus more on the Army side of things. Hope this helps!