Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Phillipe Walther

DMcNay

I'm researching the WW1 dead of the Anglo-South American Bank, and up to now they've all been British soldiers. This man is the first French casualty I've had to research, and I'm struggling a little since I don't know French very well.

Is there a kind soul who can look at this document and help me with translation and further information? Does this form advise where he is buried? If not, how would I find that out?

Thanks in advance.

archives_K790892R.JPG

Edited by DMcNay

Phillipe Jean Paul Walther, Corporal, 39th Regiment of Infantry, Service Number  7398. Enlisted  Seine (=Paris)   "Died  for France" (Mort pour la France), 20th February 1916. -on the field of battle at Souchez (?), Pas-de-Calais. Shot..(Can't make how with certainty)

Born 10. December 1885 at Bischwiller, Department- Bas-Rhin (Lower Rhine)  Lived in the 15th Arrondisement of Paris

Interestingly, your man is German- Born in Alsace-Lorraine when it was part of the German Reich. Bischwiller is north of Strasbourg. 

Killed at Souchez, which is roughly  between Arras and Lens, not that far from Vimy- a reminder that areas of the Western Front whose names are part of the tragic history of Britain's involvement on the Western Front usually had substantial French army casualties in the same places.

Edited by Guest

"Died at ABLAIN, on the Souchez battlefield, Pas de Calais".

Ablain St Nazaire is north of Arras, west of Lens (& Vimy).  There is a large French Military Cemetery - "Notre Dame de Lorette", so that's probably where the search should start. (His first name is PHILIPPE - one L, 2 P's)

(By the way, cause of death is not mentioned. "Tue a l'ennemi" just means "Killed by the enemy")

Jane

Edited by fullscott
Additional info (name spelling)

He was born in Alsace, but probably had gone to Paris, because he was enlisted there. It seems he enlisted under an other name :

" Je recherche la  fiche Matricule 4001 classe 1905 Recrutement Seine 2ème Bureau
de WALTHER  Philippe Jean Paul  - engagé sous le nom de  ROLLIN Paul
né le 10.12.1885 Bishwiller (Bas Rhin)  et   décédé le 20.02.1916 à Ablain-Saint-Nazaire dans le Pas de Calais Fils de Philippe Walther (Médecin) x Tussing Marie Emilie . "
I found this in a genealogy forum  : http://www.geneanet.org/forum/?topic=559643.0

This person wants to have his military file. For most of French soldiers the files can be found on the internet, but they haven't been digitalized in Paris, one has to go to the Archives in Paris and search ...

At least you know his father was named Philippe too

edit : but I could not find him here : http://www.memoiredeshommes.sga.defense.gouv.fr/fr/arkotheque/client/mdh/sepultures_guerre/index.php

So I suppose that he is one of the many unknown soldiers in the ossuaries ( https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nécropole_nationale_de_Notre-Dame-de-Lorette#Les_ossuaires )

Edited by mva
supplement

the link shows the 'search' form, but not the result - or is it my computer ? Perhaps you could show a screenshot

14 minutes ago, mva said:

the link shows the 'search' form, but not the result - or is it my computer ? Perhaps you could show a screenshot

Same here-  No result comes up for him by name. No result by his "nom-de-guerre" Paul Rollin (2 casualties of that name, 1914 and 1918). No result searching on his date of birth

charlie beat me to the screenshot, thanks for that.

mva- yes please, if someone could obtain a photo of his grave that would be very much appreciated.

• 2 years later...

A little update to this thread, and a belated thanks to everyone who assisted. I have now received a photograph of this man:

Walter, P J P.jpg