Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Weeton Camp

DaveR

Does anyone know of records for Weeton Camp near Blackpool? I'm looking for movements in/out for 1914 and 1915.

thanks

Dave Risley

Although there was some sort of army camp at Blackpool during the Great War, as far as I know the present Weeton Camp was originally an RAF station built around the Second World War. During the 1950's it was the location of No. 8 School of Technical Training. The army took it over during the 1960's.

I have a post card of soldiers of a Territorial battalion of the Kings Liverpool Regt at Weeton Camp.I cant make out the date on the post mark but it appears to be WW1 period.The soldiers cap badges are the pre 1926 pattern and the camp comprises tents with some buiding in the distance.

The postcard I have is of my grandfather and some others standing if front of their tent. It is postmarked '? Ju 15' and has written on it 'No 5 Tent, B Section, Weeton Camp'.

regards

Dave Risley

• 8 months later...

I don't have the dates to hand, but I have a record of the 3/9th Bn King's Liverpool Regt, T.F. being based at Weeton around Jan/Feb 1916. From there, drafts of men were sent to the 1/9th Bn in France.

Ken