Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Commander Charles Samson????

Sepoy

Dear All

I have recently purchased a photograph album put together by a Royal Marine Light Infantry Corporal who served on Mudros after the Gallipoli Campaign.
Included is an un-named, or dated, group photograph of Aviators and Other Ranks, with a bearded chap in the middle.

My question is it Commander Samson???

Thanks for your help

Sepoy

MUDROS_edited-2.jpg

G'day Sepoy,

It looks like it could well be him. (With the beard of course)

Here are some more photos of Charles Rummney Samson.

Hope this identifies him.

Kind regards,

Caleb

25_aug_16_Wing_Commander_Samson_large.jpg

694_001.jpg.6c147c25eca58b53f60f24831e8b1c1b.jpg

Thanks Caleb

I thought it was him, but when I showed the photo to my Wife, with some comparison photos, she thought that it was not Samson.

Does anyone else have any thoughts??

Sepoy

There are a lot of similarities with Samson; the only thing which gives me pause is the rank

The photograph shows a Lieutenant-Commander, whereas I understand that Samson was a full commander by then (actually, from Jan 1912 I think)

[Note the two-and-a-half rings + the absence of leaves on the cap visor: also no medal ribbons as far as I can see

This is Samson with Commander's rank + ribbons http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205021953  - ribbons are also seen in Caleb's first photo above]

Michael

Edited by michaeldr

I agree with Michael.  Samson was in any case back in Great Britain by 1918, at Great Yarmouth.  This man could well be one of the Greek Officers serving at Mudros.

Edited by pete-c
Irrelevant information.

10 hours ago, Sepoy said:

recently purchased a photograph album put together by a Royal Marine Light Infantry Corporal who served on Mudros after the Gallipoli Campaign.
Included is an un-named, or dated, group photograph of Aviators and Other Ranks,

Sepoy,

Can we see the whole of the photograph please?

It may help to identify others and perhaps nail down a date for the picture.

Also, do you have any info on the RMLI Corporal? Did he serve in the RND?

After the withdrawal from the peninsula, certain RND elements were stationed on Lemnos (as well as the other islands + Stavros) before leaving for France in May 1916

regards

Michael

2 hours ago, michaeldr said:

There are a lot of similarities with Samson; the only thing which gives me pause is the rank

The photograph shows a Lieutenant-Commander, whereas I understand that Samson was a full commander by then (actually, from Jan 1912 I think)

[Note the two-and-a-half rings + the absence of leaves on the cap visor: also no medal ribbons as far as I can see

This is Samson with Commander's rank + ribbons http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205021953  - ribbons are also seen in Caleb's first photo above]

Michael

Yes, you're certainly right. The rank and the 'scrambled eggs' on his cap. I don't know why I didn't notice that.

Also, there are slight facial differences between them.  

Best of luck with identifying the man in the photograph.

Kind regards,

Caleb

The 1914 postcard shows him as a Commander.

I wouldn't bet money on it, but there is a resemblance to Commander Aristeides Moraitinis of the Greek Naval Air Arm.

Gareth

Another image of Moraitinis for comparison.

Moraitinis_Aristide_1s.jpg

19 hours ago, Sepoy said:

Dear All

I have recently purchased a photograph album put together by a Royal Marine Light Infantry Corporal who served on Mudros after the Gallipoli Campaign.
Included is an un-named, or dated, group photograph of Aviators and Other Ranks, with a bearded chap in the middle.

My question is it Commander Samson???

Thanks for your help

Sepoy

MUDROS_edited-2.jpg

Sepoy, I believe the photo from which the above image above is taken also appears in Cross and Cockade Vol 44/1 Spring 2013.  It features 'G' Squadron R.N.A.S. at Mudros in the autumn of 1917.

The photo is apparently of G Squadron 2 Wing RNAS at Mudros, between 19.7.1917 and 1.4.1918.  although the attached picture is not quite the same as the first post it is certainly taken at the same time as the group around the officer in question is the same.  I cannot say for certain it is Moraitinis, the attached photo has no crib but comes from the album of NH Starbuck, my Great Uncle, and Moraitinis appears in several photos, but then again so do several other Greek Officers who look very similar.

In the second photo Moraitinis is sitting 2nd row 5th from the left, 4th from the left is Squadron Commander Shepherd of A Squadron, this is on Thasos around the end of 1916 as Starbuck arrived there in October 1916 and appears in the photo.

Can't find if Moraitinis was in G Squadron, thought he Commanded Z Squadron but I can find out if it is of interest.

Tony

92 G Sqn Mudros.JPG

Group of Officers, Thasos NHS third from left front row.jpg

Edited by MerchantOldSalt

Thank you for everyone's comments. Here is the full photograph which is simply labelled as "Mudros".
As can be seen, it was obviously taken at the same occasion as the one posted by MerchantOldSalt, so at least I now know which Squadron (Also thank you Pete C).

The album appears to have been put together by Samuel Searle (PO15624 RMLI) and contains a number of Mudros related photographs, including one titled "My Hut. Marsh Aerodrome, Mudros" . This is also attached.

Searle served at Antwerp and Gallipoli, where he was wounded twice. He then remained at Mudros with the 3rd Royal Marine Battalion.

I will add other photographs when I get the chance.

Sepoy

NB
As it is not clear who the original photographer or copyright holder is, this image is reproduced strictly for non-commercial research and private study purposes as permitted under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, as amended and revised.

MUDROS1918.jpg

MARSH AERODROME.jpg

Edited by Sepoy

Great photographs, thank you Sepoy and Tony. Look forward to seeing more.

Regarding Samson. He left Imbros for England at the end of December 1915. 

Out of interest, where was the Marsh Aerodrome on Lemnos?. Was it at the location of the current airport or were there a number of airfields on Lemnos during the war?
Sepoy

4 hours ago, Sepoy said:

Out of interest, where was the Marsh Aerodrome on Lemnos?. Was it at the location of the current airport or were there a number of airfields on Lemnos during the war?
Sepoy

Hi Sepoy,

Marsh aerodrome was located on the eastern side of Lemnos Island near Port Kharos and, as its name implies, was constructed adjacent to a marshy area of ground.  The site was chosen in May of 1916 and it was in use by July.  Its location was to prove somewhat of a problem during the winter period of 1916/17 when it was unusable for a period of time due to abnormal rainfall. 

There was another aerodrome on Lemnos, north of the town of East Mudros, on the east side of Mudros Bay.  This seems to have been known as either Central Depot or H.Q. and was also the site of the Repair Base.  The first structure completed on this site was the Airship Shed, which was in use by March 1916.

14 hours ago, Sepoy said:

Thank you for everyone's comments. Here is the full photograph which is simply labelled as "Mudros".
As can be seen, it was obviously taken at the same occasion as the one posted by MerchantOldSalt, so at least I now know which Squadron (Also thank you Pete C).

The album appears to have been put together by Samuel Searle (PO15624 RMLI) and contains a number of Mudros related photographs, including one titled "My Hut. Marsh Aerodrome, Mudros" . This is also attached.

Searle served at Antwerp and Gallipoli, where he was wounded twice. He then remained at Mudros with the 3rd Royal Marine Battalion.

Sepoy

MUDROS1918.jpg

MARSH AERODROME.jpg

Hi

That is the same group photo that appears in the Cross & Cockade article.  Highly likely that most of the personnel in the image had a copy, probably an 'official' photo and originally would have been classed as 'Crown Copyright'.

Mike

18 hours ago, pete-c said:

Hi Sepoy,

Marsh aerodrome was located on the eastern side of Lemnos Island near Port Kharos and, as its name implies, was constructed adjacent to a marshy area of ground.  The site was chosen in May of 1916 and it was in use by July.  Its location was to prove somewhat of a problem during the winter period of 1916/17 when it was unusable for a period of time due to abnormal rainfall. 

There was another aerodrome on Lemnos, north of the town of East Mudros, on the east side of Mudros Bay.  This seems to have been known as either Central Depot or H.Q. and was also the site of the Repair Base.  The first structure completed on this site was the Airship Shed, which was in use by March 1916.

Thank you Pete - C
I have now been able to work out the rough location, so will have a good look on Google Earth tomorrow.
Sepoy

I'm afraid you won't find much evidence on Google Earth Sepoy, these three photos are a panoramic of the site of Marsh Aerodrome in 2015, they go from right to left. Lake Chortarolimni in the background, more a marsh than a lake. There is nothing remaining to indicate the presence of military man that we could see!

Tony

DSCF1782 Site of Marsh Aerodrome 31.8.2015.JPG

DSCF1783 Site of Marsh Aerodrome 31.8.2015.JPG

DSCF1784 In vicinity of Marsh Aerodrome 31.8.2015.JPG

13 hours ago, MerchantOldSalt said:

I'm afraid you won't find much evidence on Google Earth Sepoy, these three photos are a panoramic of the site of Marsh Aerodrome in 2015, they go from right to left. Lake Chortarolimni in the background, more a marsh than a lake. There is nothing remaining to indicate the presence of military man that we could see!

Tony

Hi Tony
Thank you for adding the photographs of the airfield site. It is good to see that the area has returned to normality, but it is a shame there is no reminder of the Marsh Aerodrome.

Sepoy

On 08/08/2017 at 20:57, Sepoy said:

Sepoy

NB
As it is not clear who the original photographer or copyright holder is, this image is reproduced strictly for non-commercial research and private study purposes as permitted under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, as amended and revised.

A selection of photographs from Searle's album have been posted here

Sepoy

• 2 years later...

Re, Identity of beared Lt Cdr. I can see what it was thought it might be Charles Samson... however when Samson was promoted from Lt on 18 May 1912 he rose straight to Cdr, as the rank Lt Cdr was not at that time substantive