Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Armistice Day 2018

thetrenchrat22

I know it's like asking what you want for Ch*****s in May.  

Does anybody have any idea what is happening on this day in Ieper. 

Or what they would like to see happen on this day.  

Funnily enough i asked the same question to a resident of Ypres when i was there for Pass 100. They are Great war connected in more than one way and as of yet they've not heard anything special being planned.

The Hotel O, where I stayed for the Third Ypres centenary, told me they were already fully booked for the 2018 Armistice weekend. I would assume that the usual morning commemoration at the Menin Gate will be beefed up a little. Probably (heaven help us) by VIPs, politicians etc, and a large security zone.

3 hours ago, sassenach said:

The Hotel O, where I stayed for the Third Ypres centenary, told me they were already fully booked for the 2018 Armistice weekend. I would assume that the usual morning commemoration at the Menin Gate will be beefed up a little. Probably (heaven help us) by VIPs, politicians etc, and a large security zone.

It always amazes me that people elected by popular vote always have to be protected from the people who voted!

And it also annoys me that these people think they have much more right to be there than the bloke who was involved.

Hence the question.  As the 11th November fall's on a Sunday.  With the big ceremonies we have seen over the last couple of years what will Ieper be like on this day.

I've been to Ieper on the 11th November for the last 20 years and taken over a number of ex Cheshire's over the years and I seen the crowds grow and grow each year.  

So so I think it's time to start planning now for next year.   

I doubt if the fact that it falls on a Sunday will make any difference. Armistice Day is marked in the same way in Ypres whatever day it falls on. The unusual factor, of course, is that it will be the centenary of the Armistice, which is bound to mean that it will be even busier than usual, as was the case in 2014.