Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

264 Siege Battery, Royal Garrison Artillery

RJMortimer

Hi,

Today I visited the National Archives and discovered that in June 1918 my great great uncle Gilbert Leslie Mortimer (who I have posted about before) joined the 264th Siege Battery of the RGA in June 1918 as a second lieutenant. I was wondering if anyone might know about this unit and where they were during mid to late 1918? All I could see regarding a location was "theatre of war- France".

I'd really like to find out what I can about Gilbert's service and if there is a photograph of the 264th SB that would be amazing.

Thanks for any help!

Ryan

Ryan

264th Siege Battery was attached to 52nd Heavy Artillery Group, later 52nd Brigade RGA.  The battery was re-organised with 4 x 6in Howitzers on 24 Dec 1917.

The 52nd HAG war diary would be my first port of call: http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/af1ba67fac53493da978b9eefbe70a8c

Regards

Colin

As Colin says, 52 HAG diary will confirm that 264 Siege Battery joined on 27/9/17, and remained with them until the end of the war.

On 31/12/1917   /  1/1/1918, 52HAG HQ was at  36.B.17.a.80.45  at Rue Pontceau, Nieppe, near Armentieres.

The exact locations for 1918 will be given in the war diary linked to in Colin's post.