Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

East Yorkshire Regiment Medals

badger123456

Anyone any idea what these medal ribbons are on these East Yorkshire Regiment soldiers at a camp in England? They look like MC ribbons but cant be as they are worn by NCO's. The officers also have the same ribbon.

The ribbons look like a light, dark and then light strip but they just don't look like any ribbon I can identify, could it be the film used at that period that makes the ribbon look like that?

The picture is dated 1918 but any help anyone can give would be appreciated.

Thanks

DSCN0125.JPG

One thought is that the enlisted men have the DCM.

Regards,

Mike

The single ribbons are for the British War Medal, so the photo predates the issue of the Victory Medal. The Sgt is wearing the ribbons for the 1914 Star (or 1914-15 Star) and the British War Medal ribbon, with the Officer also wearing a Military Cross ribbon.

Sepoy

35 minutes ago, Stoppage Drill said:

Too many men are wearing it for it to be a gallantry award (DCM).

Could it be the 1909 India General Service ?

I wondered about that too , but the IGS has a broad centre stripe, and it looks like these ribbons have 3 stripes of equal width.

It's that same stripe width comparison that makes me doubt that they are BWM's. I can understand the centre stripe showing as black, but it should be wider than the combined flanking stripes of white/black/blue - and it seems to be of equal width.

Mike

Edited by Medaler

2 hours ago, Sepoy said:

The single ribbons are for the British War Medal...

1 hour ago, Medaler said:

It's that same stripe width comparison that makes me doubt that they are BWM's...

Agree 100% with Sepoy - BWM ribbons as rendered by orthochromatic film. That would also mean the supposed 1918 date of the picture was incorrect (1919 at the earliest).

Edited by Andrew Upton

48 minutes ago, Andrew Upton said:

Agree 100% with Sepoy - BWM ribbons as rendered by orthochromatic film. That would also mean the supposed 1918 date of the picture was incorrect (1919 at the earliest).

Fair enough.

Cheers,

Mike

Thanks very much chaps. I did think it might be the BWM but it was the apparent straight edges that threw me but what you have said makes sense.

The date being wrong would not surprise me, it is difficult to see.

Many thanks all.