Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

HMS Powerful 1914/1918

Irene Preece

My uncle, Henry Mafeking Parker, born 19th May 1900, served on HMS Powerful, as a Boy 2nd. His war records show that he 'died of a disease' on 10th July 1918, rumour has it that all the ship's crew were poisoned.  Anyone have any other information on this.

Thanks for the information little bob, are you related to Henry, he was my dad's older brother.  Irene 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
On 30 January 2018 at 21:21, Len Butterfield said:

Henry Mafeking Parker was a cousin of my mother Doris (nee Parker). His father and my grandfather were brothers.

Incidently, was Harry Hawkins a Coachman ?

Yes Harry Hawkins was a coachman, married to my Aunt Lucy. She had two boys Henry & Derek.  Henry was always known as''  boysie', don't know way.  I am intouch with his son Robert who lives in Malaysia

On 1/30/2018 at 21:21, Len Butterfield said:

Henry Mafeking Parker was a cousin of my mother Doris (nee Parker). His father and my grandfather were brothers.

Was she William's daughter?

On 8/28/2017 at 19:30, Mary Hawkins said:

A copy of his memorial attached 

IMG_0214.JPG

On 8/28/2017 at 19:16, Mary Hawkins said:

Henry was related to me by my maternal great grandmother who was a Parker.

Sorry haven't answered before.  Thank you for the  memorial picture of of Henry Mafekyn.  Who was your maternal great grandmother.  Have had communication from Len Butterfield his grandfather and Henry Mafekyn's father were brothers.  I;m thinking that this person is William John & Sarah's daughter.  I must check this forum more often.  Henry's father had three brothers, Albert William who had nine sons, William John had four sons and three daughters, and George Thomas one daughter.

Regards Irene

On 8/28/2017 at 19:16, Mary Hawkins said:

Henry was related to me by my maternal great grandmother who was a Parker.

Are you Derek's daughter?

That someone with the middle name of Mafeking should have later served on H.M.S. Powerful is almost an amazing coincidence. A Naval Brigade from the ship played one of the decisive roles in the town of Ladysmith holding out against the Boers, during the Anglo-Boer War. https://www.navyhistory.org.au/hms-powerful-gunner-sims-and-the-boer-war/

Mafeking was relieved on 17th May 1900, less than three months after the relief of Ladysmith.

IMG_0002%201.jpg

Henry Mafekyn was my uncle, he died in July 1918 of pneumonia, result of Spanish flu. Henry was born in May 1900 hence the middle name.

Irene Preece

The correct verb is to maffick ;)

Couple of pictures of HMS POWERFUL in 1897, from my copy of the Navy & Army Illustrated.

IMG_20180208_215710.jpg

IMG_20180208_220019.jpg

My husband was treated there not long before it closed - this is what it looks like these days: http://www.themillfields.co.uk/docs/public/apartment1.pdf

I'll see if I can find a contemporary picture.

sJ

Not exactly contemporary, but 1898. I don't suppose it changed very much in 20 years.

Apologies for the rather odd angle - it's difficult to hold the phone level with one hand and flatten the page with the other!

IMG_20180210_015138.jpg

IMG_20180210_015347.jpg

• 7 months later...

Another young casualty,  buried in churchyard in Swindon, Wiltshire.  Born in Faringdon near Swindon, worked for GWR prior to enlistment.  Cause of death on Naval record listed as Emphysema. 

20180920_191852.jpg