Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Tyne Cot Cemetery blockhouses

tootrock

The CWGC description of Tyne Cot cemetery states that the Cross of Sacrifice is built over a German pill-box, and that there are three other pill-boxes in the cemetery. I am familiar with the two near the lower end of the cemetery, but where was (is) the third?

Martin

One under the cross of sacrifice ,the two small towers at the back hide one block house each,the Germans nearly always built block houses in fives,so they could protect each other

:poppy:

42 minutes ago, BIFFO said:

One under the cross of sacrifice ,the two small towers at the back hide one block house each,the Germans nearly always built block houses in fives,so they could protect each other

The theory about the groups of 5 is not correct. The bunkers at Tyne Cot are part of the (first) Flandern Stellung, 1st and 2nd Line. There were continuous lines of bunkers built at a certain interval. Especially here the lines were well built and of course quite a few bunkers remain (there's also the one at Hamburg Farm nearby and archaeological digs and reserach have been done that found quite a few others in the area).

SO OK, not five ?

go check out where the gardeners keep their tools, you will find its in the 2 bunkers that are at the ends of the rear  wall

2 minutes ago, BIFFO said:

SO OK, not five ?

go check out where the gardeners keep their tools, you will find its in the 2 bunkers that are at the ends of the rear  wall

There are way more than 5 bunkers in the immediate area. I know very well that there are 5 on the actual area of the cemetery, but if you go a tiny bit further there's even more. I just don't agree with your theory that Germans built their bunkers in groups of 5.

Jan

The post was locations of block houses in tyne cot ?

my answer gave locations for the five

as I stated NEARLY always built in fives

the rest of your locations/comments

I couldn't give a jot

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

The bunker in the top right (45) is apparently under the cemetery.

The row of graves where it is meant to be stops two headstones shorter than the other rows.

I photographed it in November.

There is no bunker in Hamburg Farm, I speak passable Flemish and I spoke to the farmer.

He said there was no bunker and he let me look around.

Sean

3 hours ago, SMG65 said:

The bunker in the top right (45) is apparently under the cemetery.

The row of graves where it is meant to be stops two headstones shorter than the other rows.

I photographed it in November.

There is no bunker in Hamburg Farm, I speak passable Flemish and I spoke to the farmer.

He said there was no bunker and he let me look around.

Sean

Believe me, there is a bunker, it is well hidden under junk.

Jan

I must admit that the state of the farm would allow you to hide more than one bunker.

We were both in a mild state of shock, me due to the appearance of the farmer and him due to the fact that an Englishman spoke in Flemish.

He was adamant there wasn't a bunker but he may have said it so many times he is very convincing.

He told me about the ones that used to be in the field next to the farm.

Sean

Just looking at Trench Maps Sheet 28 N.E. Corrected to 3rd July 1917, shows a structure in Red at Hamburg Farm but does not show before or after this date.

In the visitor structure at Tyne Cot is a Map of the cemetery, which shows the bunkers in the said cemetery.

The Hamburg bunker may not be shown on maps when in British hands as it is of no useful information. It is certainly shown in 1918 when back in German hands.

Peter

• 5 years later...