Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

250799 Private Norman Dale SWB?

potty5

Dear forum members I have been researching a man on the local war memorial and have been informed that he was gassed and invalided out before the wars end. Can't find any SWB info or pension records so I'm unsure if this is correct. His name was 250799 Private Norman George Dale of the 2/6 Manchester's. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Mark.

No SWB record 

cannot find him listed on the CWGC as a casualty of war ?

why is he commemorated on the war memorial ?

Ray

46 minutes ago, RaySearching said:

No SWB record 

cannot find him listed on the CWGC as a casualty of war ?

why is he commemorated on the war memorial ?

Ray

It might be a 'those who served' rather than a 'those who died' memorial ?

Craig

Hi guys no he survived but according to members of his family was gassed and invalided out. He definitely was still serving in August 1917 as he was with his brother Frank when he was kia on July 30. Mark.

• Admin

Mark,

Have you had a good look at the 2/6th Bn Manchester Regiment war diary?

It's pretty good at recording by name & number all their wounded and killed. For example, for July 1917 there are six pages of casualties (>200 men) incurred during the 2/6th's time in the trenches at Lombartzyde in the Nieuport Sector when they were heavily bombarded with mustard gas.

The list includes 250811 Frank Dale KiA on 30/07/1917 as you mention above. I've had a look at that list and 250799 George Norman Dale is not on it (as expected if you know he was still serving in August 1917).

On the list, there is a 250867 Charles Edward Dale who received a GSW and suffered from gas poisoning on 26/07/1917 - he has a service record. I'm not sure if he is a relation to the other two Dales - you can check from the record. He was wounded on the 26th July, received treatment at the 1st Canadian Casualty Clearing Station on the same day, was evacuated on No 10 Ambulance Train on the 27th July to Le Treport and was admitted to No 16 General Hospital, Le Treport, later that same day. He was shipped back to the UK on 02/08/1917 and was eventually discharged on 23/05/1918, receiving a silver war badge.

I had a quick look at months > August 1917 but I didn't spot a George Norman Dale - you might want to look at the diary a bit more carefully than my quick look.

Regards

Russ

Edited by RussT