Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Grenadier Guards.

My great grandad was in the grenadier guards in world war 1. His papers say this " 4GGds". I'm guessing that means that he was in the 4th Battalion right? I'm trying to work out which battle he was in. If anyone can help, thanks.

Hi Steve,

If you post his name and number, that'll give people more info with which to be able to help you.

Cheers,

Derek

1 minute ago, Derek Black said:

Hi Steve,

If you post his name and number, that'll give people more info with which to be able to help you.

Cheers,

Derek

Thomas Chester Percival Savage. Number 29535

Find my Past has service papers for Thomas, unable to find then on Ancestry. Attested 3/12/1915  as a 22 year old, his occupation is given as School Teacher.

Bob

Hi,

If his service papers note the date of the incident then look for the Battalion War Diary (on Ancestry or at the National Archives) that covers that date.

Steve Y

Steve,

Welcome to the forum.

The 4th Grenadier Guards, 1915-1919, is available on Kindle, for only £2.99. You can get it here-;  https://www.amazon.co.uk/Great-War-Diaries-Grenadier-Guards-ebook/dp/B01N22UL4I/ref=sr_1_7?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1501526402&sr=1-7     It can be searched like a word document, and is the easiest way to read a war diary. You can easily search to see if your Grandad is mentioned by name. I can thoroughly recommend the Kindle version of the war diary.

Regards,

Alf McM

He definitely served in 4th Bn GG. The British War Medal Roll shows 4GG. 

Looking at CWGC data men with Army Numbers in the 29500 range only started becaming fatal casualties in 1918. This might suggest that he might not have served in 1916 in France...or even 1917...edit. Trawling the few remaining Service papers No. 29536 (the next man in line) went to France in Dec 1917. If this cohort had similar profiles it might suggest a long period between attestation and mobilization. 

His papers should tell you exactly when he arrived in France and the diary will allow you to follow his service day by day. He is not mentioned by name in the War Diary which is fairly typical. It is quite rare that Other Ranks were mentioned by name. 

The 4th Bn Grenadier Guards war diary is an exceptional example of record keeping. It is one of the most detailed diaries I have worked on and runs to 90,000 words - equivalent to the size of  typical small novel. It contains reports on battles and operations in some detail. MG

Edited by Guest