Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Miners going to war.

dplatt

Does anyone know of any where or how I can get lists of men who entered into service from the mines?

They must have kept lists of when men left an occupation to take up servce and, just in case any one wonders why I'm still on this old chestnut.....I just can't seem to get anywhere but don't want to give up!

Regards,

David.

Hi David

Have you tried Nation Archives to see if they have any mines paper work-employment record. I think they have Trade Union stuff.

Annette

Not sure if this helps or is of interest but I am sure I read somewhere that a lot of men from mining areas that volunteered in 1914 and early 1915 were sent to fill numbers in the RND and RM Brigades rather than army units. This would have included miners, Joe Murray of GALLIPOLI AS I SAW IT and CALL TO ARMS fame being one of them.

Hi David

you are certainly looking at a long list of men. I dont know where you will find the information that you require but here is an example of the task in front of you.

This is an extract from a Shirebrook Colliery document qouted in Trevor Skirrey's book "Brave Sons of Shirebrook"

"By 1915, 640 of the Shirebrook Colliery Companies employees had enlisted, and by September 30th 1916, 663 of the workmen were in the Forces and 53 had been killed.

By 1917, 679 had enlisted but 70 men had returned from the forces to the Colliery and 60 had lost their lives.

up to the finish of the war in 1918 a total of 829 men had enlisted, 138 had returned to the Colliery and 87 had been killed"

829 men enlisted - this is a staggering number-more than half the emplyees of the company.

regards

Geoff

David,

Tin mines or Coal mines ? :P

This is from the ROTHERHAM TIMES Aug. 21st. 1915.

Kath.

post-3-1103573907.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you all for that. Sorry it's taken me so long to return to this one but I@m still looking.

I will be following up the things you've suggested but if anyone comes up with anything else I'm happy to listen!

Regards,

David.

Hello David

The problem that you may have (if you haven't encountered enough already ;) ) is that at the time the mines were all privately owned so there would not have been any standardisation of reporting.

The one glimmer of hope is that often mine owners "made up" enlisted employees wages with a weekly grant to the wife, if the accounts still exist these payments should be listed.

Andy