Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Manchester Cemetery

Jason Robins

Just off the Bapaume to Peronne Road there is a small CWGC cemetery close to the village of Riencourt les Bapaume. It predominantly contains casualties to the Manchester's circa 30/08/18. I called in to pay my respects over the weekend whilst on the Somme. It was a lonely and windswept spot on a cold December day . I presumed the casualties were as a result of capturing the village. Does a forum member have more precise details? Many thanks.

Regards

Jason

It was started by the Manchester TF battalions of the 42nd (East Lancs) Division as a battlefield cemetery following the breakout from the Somme, and in the approach to the Hindenburg Line. I think there is an account of it in Mike Stedman's 'Advance to Victory 1918' Battleground Europe book, and there certainly is in the 42nd Div's history, which has been reprinted by N&MP.

Riencourt les Bapaume. It predominantly contains casualties to the Manchester's circa 30/08/18.

It's where the 10/Manchesters earned their nick-name of the "Nightjars" due to their successful night attacks of 30/31 August.

Dave.