Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte., W. G. Trewern, 1/4th Bn., Royal Lancaster Reg't

RFT

100 Years ago today (30th July, 1917)

In Memory of 202131, Private, William George Trewern, 1/4th Battalion, Royal Lancaster Regiment.

Born 1888, Sennen, Cornwall.

Son of Charles & Agnes Ann Trewern, of Sennen.

Husband of Susannah Warren Trewern (nee Elliot).

Last communication from W. G. Trewern -

Field Service Postcard dated 12th July, 1917 " I am quite well; I have received your letter dated July 6th; Letter follows at first opportunity."

Telegram to Mrs S. Trewern, West Place, St. Just, Cornwall, dated 27th July, 1917 -

"Tip K. O. 15 O. C. 64th Casualty Clearing Station, France telegraphs 26th July dangerously ill 202131 Pte. L. [W.] G. Trewern 1/4th K.O.R. Lancr. Regt. regret permission to visit cannot be granted Terracoff, Preston."

Army Form B. to Mrs Trewern, 14 Nancherrow Terrace, St. Just, Cornwall, dated 31st July, 1917 -

"202131, Pte., Trewern, W. G., 1/4th Batt. King's Own R. L. is dangerously ill at 64th Casualty Clearing Station, France suffering from Gas Poisoning (Reported by O.C. 26th July, 1917)."

[13 days later] Army Form B. to Mrs S. Trewern, West Place, St. Just, Cornwall, dated, 13th August, 1917 -

"Madam - It is my painful duty to inform you that a report has been received from the War Office notifying the death of -

Private, William George Trewern, 4th BN., The King's Own Royal Lancaster Regt. which occurred in France on the 30th July, 1917.

The report is to the effect that he Died from Broncho Pneumonia (following Gas)."

Still remembered and talked about by his granddaughter & her husband and family, 30th July, 2017.

Edited by RFT
Updated.