Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gunner Harold Walker MM

warbuff1

Hi

I'm trying to find some information on a Harold Walker who received the Miitary Medal . His Grandson now has the medal which I've yet to see.  He served with RFA and his medal index card shows him as Gunner TF 776585 & 151536. The Military Medal recipients show his TF number but with rank of Driver. 

I can never get my head around the Gazette so can anyone pls help with the citation and date and any other info that maybe available? Only info Grandson has is that the family beleives it was awarded due to something to do with the laying or repairing of telegraph wires under fire and that he was awarded medal by the King on the battlefield? Of course latter may not be true. Any help or pointers in right direction be much appreciated 

Wayne

Edited by warbuff1

Wayne

LG 30573 p 3247 Supplement to LG of 12/03/1918 shows award of MM to 776585 Dvr H Walker (Heeley). Best chance of the circumstances are in the local newspapers for Heeley.

I think that 776585 would be his post 1917 number. I will try and identify his Unit and there may be something in the War Diary. His SWB record shows that he enlisted on 26/05/1916 and was discharged on 19/03/1919 cause wounds.

Brian

EDIT:

According to lists supplied by Forum Member Kondoa the 1917 numbers 775001 to 780000 were issued to 245 Brigade RFA (1/1 W Riding) and 310 Brigade RFA (2/1 W Riding). H Walker is named in the December 1917 WD of 310 Brigade (WO 95/ 3075/1 Ancestry p 57/123) under Honours. He was A Battery, 310 Brigade. I have not yet gone through the Brigade WD or the WD of the Commander RA 62 Div (WO 95/3073/1) to see if there is any further info but I will have a look this evening.

Brian

Edited by brianmorris547
additional info

Wow great detail Brian thank you so very much for taking the time to look. Ill have look on ancestry now I know the brigade & battery

Many many thanks

Wayne 

EDIT: After looking online it appears citations for Military Medals don't exist & it's rare to find details in war diaries except simply fact they been awarded 

Edited by warbuff1

I could not find any further info in the CRA WD but there are reports on and maps of what is referred to as Operation G Y which began on 20/11/1917 until 30/11/1917. Very good reading. There is more info about the battle of Cambrai on TLLT. 

Brian