Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

OBTAINING 9th SHERWOOD FORESTERS DIARIES

Pete1000

Hi, I have found the War diaries of the 9th Sherwood Foresters of 1918 on Ancestry and have been browsing through them. However you can't download them and you can't directly print them - it acts as if it will print the page you have on screen but then prints a page saying that the diaries have not been indexed yet. You can "print screen" and paste into Word but the print definition is not too good and handwritten stuff is difficult to read. There are over 600 pages. I find the online stuff difficult to read in detail and it is not easy to skip back and forward.

I went on the National Archives website and located the following files:-

WO 95/1815

WO 95/2587/6

WO 95/1815/3

WO 95/1815/2

WO 95/1815/1

Does anyone know how these files  match the Ancestry data?

Has anyone ever obtained a paper copy from the National Archives and if so how much does this cost?

Regards

Pete

Hi Pete,

You can download from Ancestry, but it's a real pain as you have to do it a page at a time (jpeg files).

Ancestry.jpg.23af1a216a97383e715b526d1a6c8374.jpg

Image Source: Ancestry.co.uk - war diaries collection

The National Archives are continuous 'chunks' (as a pdf file). Once downloaded you can scroll through, or print off in one go.

Regards

Chris

Hi,

1 hour ago, Pete1000 said:

I went on the National Archives website and located the following files:-

WO 95/1815

WO 95/2587/6

WO 95/1815/3

WO 95/1815/2

WO 95/1815/1

It looks like the National Archives has split the diary into 15 parts - click here

Regards

Chris

There is a resident expert on the 9th Foresters on the Forum - Steve Morse. I've not seen him about for a while, but if he is still about I daresay he'll be along. He's written a book about the battalion.

Hi All, many thanks for the help and advice. I have bitten the bullet and started downloading from Ancestry. I am only working on 1918 and have downloaded 200 out of 696 pages! Also Steve Morse has been in touch as well.

Regards

Pete